Wednesday, April 23, 2008

T-Ball Coach


OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Nampa (AP) -- The Nampa Parks and Recreation Department announced today that Keith Waggoner has been named coach of the Astros. Waggoner, whose previous experience includes coaching at HHYC and AYC, will bring a high level of expertise to the Astros as they contend for the crown in the highly competitive T-ball league. Waggoner won two championships at HHYC during his four years coaching there and one championship and a third-place finish at AYC in the AA division. He was voted coach of the year in both leagues. In a press conference this afternoon, Keith stated that "I'm thrilled to be given the opportunity of coaching in the small leagues. I look forward to meeting my players soon and beginning to build the nucleus of a championship team. Bringing to mind the examples set by my big-league mentors Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, and Lou Piniella, my relaxed, laid-back approach to coaching will instill a sense of self-worth in my players as well as a great affection for grape snow cones." Keith indicated that he will be stressing improvement in five main areas: hitting the ball, catching the ball, throwing the ball, running in the right direction, and creative team chants.

The Parks Department also reported that Waggoner will be bringing Marc Taylor on board as an assistant coach. Taylor, who has a long and storied history as a Nampa athlete, will oversee many of the hitting and catching drills as well as scheduling the team snacks. Taylor said, "I am honored to be chosen for this opportunity to give back to the community. I look forward to enhancing the hand-eye coordination of our players, promoting team spirit, and coming up with innovative nicknames for the umpiring staff."

If your child, grandchild, niece, nephew, or the annoying next-door kid is interested in signing up for T-ball (and you must register soon for a low price of $22), click here and then select in this order:

The state (ID)
Nampa Recreation Center
Register for Activities
Youth Sports
08 T-Ball (5-6YRS)
Register
Be sure to select the "Astros #6" in the "Team" category

Keith Waggoner closed his press conference by saying that this experience for Astros players "will be like playing Ninteno Wii, riding a roller coaster, and eating as much ice cream as you want, all rolled into one."

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Cool. Too bad you weren't closer. I'm sure Jared would love to be an Astro.

Keith said...

Astros are cool.

Dorcas said...

Way to go Keith!! Congrats!! I love the part AYC plays in the interview :o)))

Keith said...

AYC has played an important role in my development as coach. My great AYC mentors such as Dennis, Randy, Wes, and others have paved the way and made my success possible. Their willingness to always agree with Bible Bowl judges and umpires impressed me as a young coach breaking into the bigs.

My Big Brown Opinion said...

I like the subtle reference to your managing heroes. Try to be just like them!

Good luck this season!