Friday, October 12, 2007

Soapbox

This is a comment I left on Carrie's blog. Carrie, who happens to be my cousin and a very good friend, is debating whether to vote Republican or Democat in the upcoming presidential election. I feel her frustration, too. Based on what I've heard so far from the candidates from both parties, it's a little bleak. If only Mike Huckabee would take off. That guy is awesome! Just for the record, I don't believe that the Republicans are God's hand-selected political party. But, they manage to come closer to my personal stance on various issues than the Democrats. However, I will have you know that I have voted for Democrats in the past, good people who took a hard position on issues that I was passionate about. Anyway, here's what I had to say in Carrie's hypothesis that all the candidates on the ballot are pro-choice (feel free to share your thoughts on my post or on Carrie's post):

The reality is that we very well could have two pro-choice candidates on
the ticket this year. Mitt Romney conveniently changed his stance shortly before
making his presidential bid, so who know what he really thinks. I do know that
he used to be pro-choice. I don't vote just on moral issues,
though they are very, very important to me. I vote based on where I think the
individual will take our country, state, or city (based on the election). What
are their positions on those issues that I deem important? What's their voting
record like (if applicable)? What leadership experience are they bringing to the
table? I don't like voting for a "name" or a public persona generated by a media
blitz. I am sick and tired of the media trying to influence what I think and how
I vote(and, yes, this includes Fox News). Partisan politics drive me crazy.
Let's start thinking about what's good for America and not what's good for the
Republicans or Democrats. Our problem is that we don't research before we vote.
We blindly cast our ballot for whoever our friend likes, or who Rush Limbaugh
promotes, or who our spouse votes for. It's intellectual apathy. Let's think for
ourselves!

(Cough) Ahem, has anyone tried the hor d'oeuvres? They're
delicious!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree with you on Huckabee. I think he has great potential. I'm just stuck with the feeling that the next President will not be a Republican.

So, based on my "gut" feeling for this next election, my "common sense" (or whatever you want to call it) tells me to try to get the best Democrat possible in.

Huckabee is a great choice, though. Do you think he has a chance, or do you think he needs more "face time" first?

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

I don't think Huckabee has a chance, realistically speaking. I've never actively campaigned for a presidential candidate before, but if he got the nomination I think I would get involved. I recently met the worship leader at the Baptist church he pastored in Arkansas. He told me that he's the real deal.

However, to influence the Democratic choice for President you have to vote in the Democratic primary. Are you going to register as a Democrat?

Carrie said...

I don't know yet. It's a pretty big risk to take. If Hillary ended up being the nomination, I'd be forced (by my conscience) not to vote in the elections.