Monday, June 26, 2006

Fiction

You know, my great friend (and cousin) Carrie got me thinking about my favorite novels. I don't know that I have a comprehensive list. Like I said in my review of House I don't read much fiction. I'm doing some real head-scratching to come up with a list. I'm just going to write down some novels, in no particular order, that I have really liked:

The Oath, F. Peretti
To Tame a Land, L. La'mour (can't help it; I love westerns)
Thr3e, T. Dekker
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis
The Chamber, J. Grisham
Without Remorse, T. Clancy
Tom Sawyer, M. Twain
The Perfect Getaway (The best Hardy Boys Case Files ever; it's #12) F.W. Dixon
The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
Silas Marner, G. Eliot
Penrod/Penrod and Sam/Penrod Jashber (3 of the funniest books ever written), B. Tarkington
Great Expectations, C. Dickens (I've read and reread this book more than any other)
Cain, J.B. Huggins
Huckleberry Finn, M. Twain
Big Bad Wolf, J.Patterson
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, V. Burton
The Young Explorer, H. Alger (I actually like all of Horatio Alger's books even though you know what's going to happen from chapter 1 on)
This Present Darkness, F. Peretti
Oliver Twist, C. Dickens
The Sackett Brand, L. La'mour
Curious George, H.A. Rey
The Invisible Man, H.G. Wells
1984, G. Orwell (very interesting and thought-provoking)
The Langoliers, S. King
Ramona the Pest, B. Cleary
The Pelican Brief, J. Grisham
Little Men, L.M. Alcott
The Reckoning, J.B. Huggins

Man, I can't believe I came up with that many. That's just off the top of my head. There were a few books, whose titles elude me at the moment, that I loved as a kid. I'll have to track them down.

So, anybody want to post their top 5?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading those Ramona books.
If you liked 1984, you should read Fahrenheit 451.

Anonymous said...

My Top 5 (in no part.order):

Sophie (Lori Wick)
Pollyanna (Elenor H. Porter)
Divine (Karen Kingsbury)
The Atonement Child (Francine Rivers)
Hadassah (Tommy Tenney & Mark Andrew Olsen)

Anonymous said...

Oh do be careful Keith - when you scratch your head that is - you might uproot the remaining hair! And I am too chicken to leave my name. See if you can figure out who I am...

Carrie said...

Very good list--several of my favorites are on that list. You know, I've never read Great Expectations. I'll have to check that out next week.

Top 5 (Children's):

Bambi by Felix Salten
The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
The Stinky Cheese Man (Keith, this book is a MUST) by Jon Sciezka
ALL the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
Follow my Leader by I can't remember who

Top 5 (Fiction):

The Oath by Frank Peretti
LOTR and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
A Painted House by John Grisham
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Leviathan by J.B. Huggins


Top 5 (Non-Fiction):

What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey
Big Girls Don't Whine by Jan Silvious
If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortburg
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
A Girl Named Zippy (and the sequel) by Haven Kimmel

Anonymous said...

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Count of Monte Cristo
Watership Down
Catcher in the Rye
Everybody Poops

Anonymous said...

hmm....well i don't really read much cause, well i just don't want to. i guess you could say i'm kinda' anti-reading sometimes, but i like To Kill A Mockingbird, Stotan, and basically anything Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. Also i have almost the whole collection of Dear America books.

Keith said...

You know, I have never read "To Kill a Mockingird". What is wrong with me? I do have to say "The Count of Monte Cristo" belongs way up there. I knew I would forget something.

Keith said...

Oh, by the way, Sheila, I have to admit that I've read Sophie. When we were living in Cincinnati I came down with the flu. I had literally read every book in the house (except for those chic books) and Lori left "Sophie" on the table. I was so bored that I read it. It was actually pretty good. I usually don't volunteer that information, though.

Carrie said...

I have read To Kill a Mockingbird at least 5 times. I love that book! I'd also like to read Catcher in the Rye--I'll put that one on my list. Thanks, Carlton!