Thursday, June 22, 2006

House

I received 2 great Father's Day presents from Trey and Kassady (via Lori). A CD of Crossway Quartet (which was OK) and the first book from the writing team of Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker entitled "House". I highly recommend the book for those who are into weird, supernatural-type, abstract fiction. That means that I really liked the book. I rarely read fiction unless it's written by C.S. Lewis, Louis L'amour, John Grisham, or Tom Clancy. It just doesn't appeal that much to me. However, I have enjoyed Frank Peretti's books in the past, especially "The Oath" which I would rate in my personal Top 20 novels. I haven't really been hooked by the writing of Ted Dekker thus far, even though "Thr3e" has a good ending. Anyway, I was curious what the duo would produce. It's good stuff. Freaky, but yet addictive. I would guess that Dekker did a lot of the actual writing. The book's concept reminds me of something Peretti would dream up, but the abstract storyline brings to mind Dekker's style.

Interestingly enough, Ralph Winter (producer of the X-Men series, Fantastic Four) is already touting it as a made-for-movie script. He is starting to become the hottest Christian movie producer in the industry. He helped produce Peretti's novel "Visitation" and is in production on Dekker's "Thr3e". I think this could possibly be a better movie than book.

I just watched "Visitation" today, and it was just OK. Nothing like Winter's X-Men movies. Why do Christian movies come off as kind of corny? I don't know...

Anyway, try the book. I did enjoy it.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Ahh. I'm on a waiting list at the library for House. I can hardly wait! You might also enjoy James Byron Huggins. A little bit of supernatural thrown in with secret military weaponry sort of style (my favorite is Leviathan). He is a Christian author, but probably has a Catholic background.

Carrie said...

Out of curiosity, what is your personal Top 20? I'm always on the lookout for a good book.

Anonymous said...

Ribeiro, do you have an extreme fascination with small rodents?

Keith said...

Man, I've missed out. I need to check out "The Hamster Who Would Be King"

Carrie said...

I see that J.B. Huggins is already on your list. Great author!