Monday, March 31, 2008

Terror Firma

Whew! Another whirlwind weekend. This was my first time to travel through Texas. The humidity brought back memories of July afternoons in Ohio. And, I can't figure out what it was, but there was some plant, flower, tree, or weed that smelled like the midwest. I know, I've finally gone over the edge. But...it did. It also hit me last night that it had been a long time since I had heard crickets chirping. They were in full chorus last night and for some reason it triggered one of those nostalgic nerves that brings back a flood of memories. Good memories.

People in Texas not only appreciate Southern Gospel music, they know the songs. We've been doing a couple of rather obscure old tunes and there were a few out there singing along with us. I was impressed. We were at Fort Worth First Nazarene on Sunday morning and come to find out Dave Tharp (the music pastor) and I know a lot of the same people from back east. He's a great guy and we had a wonderful time. We were in Denton, TX at another Nazarene church last night. Following the concert we drove to Oklahoma City and spent the night on the bus. Getting up at 4:10 AM (ID time) in the morning to catch a flight is one of the few things I despise about traveling. We have to be a sorry sight, staggering through security, eyes bloodshot, muttering incoherently. Kind of blows the traveling fantasy doesn't it? Of course, I can't sleep on the plane. It's pathetic, really. I wait until I get home to catch up on the Zzzs. Today, I read 2 Newsweek magazines, 1 Charisma magazine, and finished a Wired magazine. We had a 3 minute layover in Denver (seriously). It was supposed to be longer, but as our wheels touched down on the runway, the pilot suddenly took the plane back up at a steep angle. He informed us that air traffic control had made an error and that there was "traffic congestion" on the runways. Comforting.

All's well that ends well. I'm home.

No comments: