Thursday, April 03, 2008

Mitchel Jon

Today I've been listening to the rough mix of a solo project that is the best solo Southern Gospel recording I've ever heard up to this point. Actually, it's one of the best solo projects I've ever heard, regardless of genre. I've never met Mitchel Jon before, but I'm here to tell you this guy can flat out sing with the best of them, secular or sacred. He sang with Three Bridges for several years before going solo. He also sings with Phil Cross and Poet Voices one weekend a month. Please understand, this is not some rabid fan's hyperbole. I'm not too fond of Southern Gospel solo music. There are some good soloists out there, but it's never been my preference. However, there's something different about this project. If you crossed Bart Millard with some early-mid '80s Russ Taff and throw in a little Charles Billingsley you get Mitchel Jon. Except, he blows away any solo recording I've heard from those three gentlemen. Which is saying a lot, because they've produced some fantastic material. Be looking for Mitchel Jon's album in the next couple of months.

By the way, he's going to be in Boise at Liberty's Family Fest.08 in September. It's worth coming just to hear this guy sing.


UPDATE: I let Lori listen to the CD and she figured out who he most sounds like: Keith Lancaster, from Acapella. Remember that group? I think she might be right.

No comments: