Friday, December 14, 2007

Santa RIP

Speaking of Santa...sorry kids. Thanks, Ellen. That's hilarious!

Trey's first grade class presented a puppet show/musical version of the Christmas story on Wednesday morning in chapel. I got a kick out of watching the kids strain to lift their puppets above the puppet window. Trey's character was Joseph and halfway through one of the songs, Joseph apparently got tired. The puppet slowly started to descend until you could only see its head, then its eyes, then nothing. You could hear the stage whispers of one of the helpers trying to get him to make Joseph visible again (talk about reminding me of FCA dramas). Finally, Joseph slowly made his way back up. Classic material. I wish I would have brought my video camera.

After that, a guest speaker got up to speak about Christmas (I guess). I'm not real sure what the point of his sermon was. He started out by saying that truth is only found in God's Word. Truth is not found in traditions, blah, blah, blah. He then viciously vilified the Magi, calling them magicians and witches and reciting a litany of things they supposedly were involved in (and I'm thinking, "Now that's not in the Bible; how do we know that's true?"). He poked fun at their studying of the stars, once again indicating that the only truth was found in the Bible, which don't get me wrong I believe to be inerrant, the written word of God. He obviously hasn't figured out that there's a difference between astrology and astronomy. And he overlooked the fact that there was a star that directed the wise men to Jesus (that is in the Bible). It seemed that his main intent was to paint the wise men as evil, bad guys. The more I listened, the more frustrated I became at this guy's mischaracterization. These kids are sitting there listening to a person in authority tell them all this, and probably some of them believed what he was saying. You know, when you're speaking to kids, keep it as positive as possible. It just ticked me off. And, then the last thing that sent me over the edge was his leaning down and talking to the little kids about the fact that "we don't believe in all of these Christmas fairy tales, now, do we?" You know, let the parents of the 5 and 6-year-olds determine what they let them believe in. Is it really so bad that a 5-year-old believes in Santa Claus or Rudolph? Is that going to harm them in any way? I don't think so. In fact, just recently on Focus on the Family's radio broadcast (I think it was on 12/10 or 11) they were talking about how fantasy and imagination is a big part of a child's life and specifically mentioned that believing in Santa Claus wasn't a bad thing.

You know, I want my kids to know the real reason we celebrate Christmas (and they do). But, I also want them to enjoy many of the Christmas traditions. We don't tell our kids that Santa is real, but neither do we discourage them from believing in the old fella. Some of us just need to lighten up. Enjoy all parts of this wonderful season!

OK, I'm now getting off the soapbox.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Travis's mom and your father knew my father for many of years and knew him to be very conservative. However, I always believe in Santa and would set out cookies etc every C'eve. Once daddy wrote me a letter in very shaky handwriting and signed it "santa". The moral to this story is if Gene Grove can promote "Santa" anyone can.

Keith said...

Hi Gina. I know your father, too, and he's a great guy. It's great to hear about that tradition. It just adds to the wonder of the season for kids.

Anonymous said...

Amen to all you said in this post! Let the little ones be little for what short time they are!
Neva

Aimee said...

The puppet show - The disappearing puppet was hilarious.

Wise men - I always knew there was something fishy about them. =)

Santa - I agree with you...live and let live, eh? =)

Anonymous said...

Keith, daddy always let me dress up at hollween too. Of course I still to this day look for a long sleeve dress when shopping (some things just don't change LOL), but he believed in letting a kid be a kid and he had a lot of kid in him too. He also never quit playing "You are my Sunshine" on his gibson and singing to his wife of 62 years. He loved to talk pig latin and once told mother "oh go kiss a pig" yeah say it backwards and you'll know what he really said. Mother said " I told you Gene Grove that nonsense was going to get you in trouble some day.

Dorcas said...

Merry Christmas from the McCoy's!!

Queen of the Castle said...

Hey! Did you die along w/ good ol' santa?!? haha! Hope you had a great Christmas & New Year! :-)

Char said...

OK, I AM REALLY REALLY SICK OF THIS KID CRYING!!!! PLEASE POST SOMETHING -- ANYTHING!!!!! (As a children's teacher and leader it's killing me! Tell him it's ok, wipe his tears, give him a hug, just make him stop crying!)
I'm behind on posts too but at least no one is sobbing!