Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Faith in the Bearded One

Last night, Lori and I took Trey and Kassady over to Karcher Mall to see Santa Claus. It was a family tradition when I was a young kid to get my picture taken with the big man. So, I thought the kids might like it.

Now, you have to understand my children's personalities. Trey is a literalist. Everything exists in black and white. It's either true or it isn't. There is no in-between. He examines everything from a logical viewpoint. Kassady, on the other hand, has a raging imagination that never stops. Today, she was arguing with an imaginary friend. Lori told her that if she was going to have an imaginary friend they had to play nice together. That seemed kind of funny to me, like telling the (real) kids to settle down. Anyway, Kassady firmly believes in the existence of Santa Claus while Trey is an avowed skeptic. In fact, Trey has been making it a point to disprove intellectually the belief that his friends hold in the jolly saint. The other night we were over at Dustin and Angie Mori's house and we were talking about all the Christmas traditions that we experienced growing up. I asked if Noah (their son and one of Trey's best buddies) believed in Santa. Angie said, "He did until we had Trey ride home with us tonight!" That's my son.

Anyway, the being of Santa has been a huge argument in our house for the last few weeks. When we walked around the corner and saw Santa, Kassady punched Trey in the arm and said defiantly, "See...I told you he was real!"

3 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

this story totally cracks me up! i never believed in santa...mostly because at my first meeting with him i was only 1 & terrified of anything in a costume! however, as i've grown older, i have discovered that i like him a lot! (even if he isn't "real"!) hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what we adults can get into. Just today the little ones in kindergarten class asked if I believed in Santa. What is one supposed to say? Luckily we were interrupted so I didn't have to answer. Shelby

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness. We've been living the same life the past couple of weeks!

I finally told Brennan that if he told one more little kid that Santa wasn't real, he was going to be grounded from Nintendo.