Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fan Awards

National Quartet Convention was a great experience. I have quite a bit to say about it, the performances, the booths, the friends I ran into, the groups, you name it. However, I first want to contribute a little commentary concerning the fan awards. Y'all got some right, but you blew it on a few. Here we go (winners are in bold):


Female
Bean, Peg McKamey (McKameys)
Easter, Sheri (Jeff & Sheri Easter)
Hopper, Kim (Hoppers)
Stuffle, Libbi (Perrys)
Whisnant, Susan (Whisnants)

There is no doubt that Kim Hopper is very deserving of this award. She possesses one of the most powerful voices in Southern Gospel music (male or female). However, with that said, I was personally pulling for Susan Whisnant, the heir to Connie Hopper's title "Queen of Class". Susan is an underrated vocalist who has learned how to sell a song without belting. Right now, the Whisnants are one of my favorite SG groups.

Male
Fowler, Scott (Legacy Five)
Haase, Ernie (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)
Parker, Ivan
Rice, Arthur (Kingdom Heirs)
Wolfe, Gerald (Greater Vision)

Sorry, fans. You blew it here. Don't get me wrong, Ivan can still bring a crowd to its feet, albeit with his classics in lower keys and a tendency to avoid the big punch as in old days, but he is not in the same class as the rest of these guys. I see this category as including more than just a good voice. I would have gone with Gerald Wolfe in this category. There is no one who can bring the entire package (vocals, humor,charisma) to the stage like Gerald. While his vibrato is widening with age, he can still sing the big songs like few others in the biz.

Tenor
Free, Brian (Brian Free & Assurance)
Haase, Ernie (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)
Seamans, Frank (Legacy Five)
Sutton, David (Triumphant Quartet)
Waldroup, Jason (Greater Vision)

I like Jason, but right now Brian Free is sounding better than he ever has. He is one of those few guys who truly improves as he gets older. His voice sounds so much better than it did in the Gold City hey-day. He can tear it up live better than any of the other guys. Brian consistently brings it night after night. Frank makes it tough to vote just because he's in a 2-way tie with Rodney Griffin for the nicest guy in Southern Gospel music. He also sounds better every time I hear him.

Lead
Dibler, Matt (Inspirations)
Fowler, Scott (Legacy Five)
Inman, Clayton (Triumphant Quartet)
Rice, Arthur (Kingdom Heirs)
Wolfe, Gerald (Greater Vision)

I agree.

Baritone
Anderson, Doug (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)
Griffin, Rodney (Greater Vision)
Howard, Scott (Legacy Five)
Inman, Scott (Triumphant Quartet)
Trammell, Mark (Mark Trammell Trio)

I don't get this one. Not that Rodney isn't a deserving recipient, he is. But he sings lead on 85% of the Greater Vision songs. He's not a baritone, people! And, Mark Trammell is singing lead with MTT. We like to stereotype singers. Just because Mark sang baritone with the Cats back in the day doesn't mean he's still stuck on that part. That being said, I like both Rodney and Mark, but I have to go with the best guy nominated, Doug Anderson. Doug has an incredible instrument and deserves the honor. The best baritone in SG music wasn't nominated, though. That's Marsh Hall. That's a baritone!

Bass
Bennett, Eric (Triumphant Quartet)
Duncan, Tim (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)
Dustin, Glenn (Legacy Five)
Holcomb, Mike (Inspirations)
Stuffle, Tracy (Perrys)

I'd go with Glenn out of this group. I have to say, though, that the best bass singer this week was Aaron McCune of Gold City. He's incredible! Give him some love.

Alto
Easter, Sheri (Jeff & Sheri Easter)
Hopper, Connie (Hoppers)
Stuffle, Libbi (Perrys)
Talley, Debra (Talley Trio)
Whisnant, Susan (Whisnants)

Once again, I would have liked Susan to win this award. That being said, though, I love Debra. So, I don't feel too bad about this one.

Soprano
Fortner, Connie (McKameys)
Gooch, Karen Peck (Karen Peck & New River)
Greene, TaRanda (Greenes)
Hopper, Kim (Hoppers)
Talley, Lauren (Talley Trio)

I agree with Kim's statement when she accepted the award: "...my favorite soprano is my sister-in-law Taranda". Taranda should have been the one on stage. She has a beautiful voice that can belt out SG standards such as "When I Knelt" as well as CCM classics like "Redeemer". By the way, she sings Redeemer better than Nicole C. Mullen.

Young Artist
Fortner, Eli (McKameys)
Free, Ricky (Brian Free & Assurance)
Habedank, Joseph (Perrys)
Inman, Scott (Triumphant Qt)
Sweatman, Dustin (Mark Trammell Trio)

On the money, with this one. Scott's a class guy with a great future ahead of him.

Horizon Individual
Barker, Grant (Kingsmen)
Lile, Jeremy (Brian Free & Assurance)
Singletary, Josh (Tribute Qt)
Sweatman, Dustin (Mark Trammell Trio)
Trammell, Nick (Perrys)

To be honest, I really didn't have a favorite. I'm glad Nick won, though, because he provided the quote of the night: "Thanks to Tracy and Libbi for giving me an opportunity that my own father wouldn’t give me."

Horizon Group
Ball Brothers
Browns
Crystal River
Paid In Full
Young Harmony

How many times can you be nominated for this award? I know that Paid in Full has been nominated 2 or 3 years. They've been traveling for 15 years. I don't see how that fits the parameter of being a "new" group. I would have gone with the Ball Brothers.

Musician
Bennett, Roger (Legacy Five)

Collingsworth, Kim (Collingsworth Family)
Holt, Matthew (Perrys)
Stice, Jeff (Triumphant Qt)
Webb, Roy (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)

OK, so we all knew that Roger would win one more time. And I don't begrudge that at all. Roger will always be remembered as one of the all-time piano greats. I loved the guy. I'm hoping that Kim finally gets her due next year.

Songwriter
Bishop, Mark
Brady, Jim
Crabb, Gerald
Griffin, Rodney
Wilkinson, Dianne

I guess I should be grateful that fans are finally starting to read the liner notes and nominating non-singer writers. I was hoping that Dianne would win. She has written so many fantastic songs for the premiere groups of our genre.

Album
Get Away Jordan (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound)
I Know (Inspirations)
Live In Music City (Legacy Five)
Revival (Gold City)
Triumphant (Triumphant Qt)

In my mind L5s album was in a dead heat with "Revival". They're both great recordings that I play quite frequently. So, heads or tails: Heads, you have it. Legacy Five.

Group of the Year
Booth Brothers
Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
Inspirations
Legacy Five
Triumphant Qt

Thank you for getting this right, fans. The Booth Brothers are at the top. Their unique blend of harmony, comedy, energy, and great songs are unparalleled in Southern Gospel. They are my favorite group right now.

Song
Give It Away (Gaither Vocal Band)
He Will Hide Me (Perrys)
Heaven's Hero (Greater Vision)
Hey Jonah (Triumphant Qt)
I Have Not Forgotten (Inspirations)
I Will Trust You Lord (McKameys)
If It Takes A Valley (Brian Free & Assurance)
My Anchor of Hope (Kingdom Heirs)
Once Upon A Cross (Mark Trammell Trio)
Strike Up The Band (Legacy Five)

You totally blew it! I don't get it. The song shouldn't have even been in the top ten. I heard all of the songs and the most powerful, by far, was "Once Upon a Cross". What a song! "He Will Hide Me" would have been my second choice. It was nice to recognize the songwriter of each song, but why did they exclude Phil Cross? They mentioned everyone but him. Just an oversight?

It was a fun evening. And now, I'll put my soapbox away and go see why Royce is swerving all over the road.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know what songs you guys sang in your two showcase appearances!

Royce's Aunt Neva

Anonymous said...

I've been listening online all week. The only awards that I 100% agreed with were The Booth Bros and Roger Bennett. What has amazed me most has been the off-pitch singing that occurs. I notice it more because I'm not seeing them sing it live. Overall, about 1/2 of the groups were not worth my listening time. I sure did enjoy hearing Gerald Williams. He is one of the best, enduring bass singers out there - after 58 years that fact is undisputable. I'm glad the industry finally recognized him last year and inducted him into the Gospel Music Hall Of Fame - it was well deserved. Plus he's a heck of a nice guy and I've never met anyone more humble.

Anonymous said...

Who is the lucky person that was able to listen online all day? Shelby

Karen Walden said...

It was good to see you at NQC! We didn't realize your group sang in a showcase though! Hope it wasn't on Friday and we missed it somehow!
We too were surprised at some of the awards but you have to remember... Jonathan is the biggest Ivan Parker fan on this earth!
I hope Kim wins musician next year! She deserves it and it will help with them now appearing on the Gaither's!!!
Take Care!
Jonathan and Karen