Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Squeaky


For those old Kingsmen fans out there, Liberty recently did a concert with former Kingsmen tenor, Garry Sheppard (far right). He is currently doing stand-up comedy and a little singing. I never would have pictured him as the comedic type, but he is very, very funny. I thought Royce and Dan were going to fall out of their seats on some of the material. He did sing one of my favorite tenor solo songs "He's All I Need". We had a great time.

I did get the low-down from Garry on how he got the nickname Squeaky from Jim Hammill. Before he joined the group, Garry was a lead miner who would occasionally sing in church. Shortly after he joined, the Kingsmen headed into the studio and recorded an album. Immediately after the recording session, they left on a 31-day trip (with a concert on every day). Garry's voice wasn't even remotely up to the challenge and by the last night he was dragging big-time. He got up to sing that last night and he said he felt like there were razor blades in his throat. He could only squeak out the notes. There was nothing musical about it. Jim coined the phrase and voila, the rest is history.

Also pictured are John Harness and Daymon Qualls of the California Melody Boys.

3 comments:

Carlton Farmer said...

Garry Sheppard...Elton John...same person.

Anonymous said...

I do love that song,"He's All I Need". I think that was the best song he did while with the good old Kingsmen.

Anonymous said...

I was a big Kingsmen fan back in the days when Garry was tenor! Great to see he is still in the game! :-)