Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Christmas is come and past...

Just a few pics from our Christmas celebrations back east. This was our first Christmas with our families since we moved out to Idaho. I took pictures of almost everything except the Waggoner Christmas party in Frankfort, IN. I forgot to bring my camera. Enjoy!


We kicked off the season in style by attending my first of many-to-come school programs. Trey is the one inside the green circle (you have to break this stuff down).

Trey was very impressed with his ninja costume that we bought him for Christmas. He took it back east with him. The shards of glass and broken pieces of wood that often litter the floor are evidence of his misplaced passion. I now know what my parents went through when they bought me a drumset.

Speaking of passion, no, I'll use the word obsession, Trey received booster packs for his GI Joe trading card game. He's an addict. He has memorized all of the facts, powers, and boost numbers printed on the back of the card. I'm never going to introduce him to baseball cards.


I showed off my impressive keyboard skills at Grandma Kirkman's house. Martha Miller and Robin Clemens (my college piano instructors) would have been so proud. I hit demo, hit the chord, and voila...

I got to my Grandma's house with plenty of time left before the party. I hardly ever get to see Grandma, so it was a thrill to be with her. It was the first time that she had seen Kassady and the 3rd time she was able to be with Trey. My Grandma Kirkman is a saint! She's the only person I know that laughs and cries simultaneously while testifying in church. That used to amaze me when I was a kid.

For those of you who have vicariously entered Frank and Marie's kitchen while watching "Everybody Loves Raymond' I present the fork and spoon.

Tony could often be found around the food table at the Kirkman Christmas party.

So could Ray.

The McCrary family will come at this time to minister in song. Lord bless them as they come (turn away from pulpit and exit platform). Actually, I've never included Abby in a blog photo and just had to do it.


One of the highlights of the Kirkman Christmas party is our holiday sing-along. We sing every carol and song we can think of. Trey loved this! This year, for the first time, we got all of the words right to the 12 Days of Christmas. We are notorious for having "8 chickens drumming" and the like. We sang Silver Bells, Joy to the World, Silent Night, Here Comes Santa Claus, Pretty Paper (to which I absolutely do not know the words; I hummed and occasionally insertd the word "love"), Frosty the Snowman, Away in a Manger, and several other classics.

I do believe Grandma would rather sing than eat. She sat in her chair alternating singing with crying. She loved it! Mom cranked it out on the accordion while Abby played the keyboard.

I believe I can speak for everyone when I say that the high point of the evening was a wondrous trio featuring Ray, Tony, and myself (all tenors). We sang a song that I didn't know the words to. I also should mention the fact that I sang baritone. Everyone had a good laugh at our expense while my deaf relatives told me how good we sounded.



We headed back to Cincinnati following a fun weekend in Frankfort, IN (my hometown). Kassady looked in wonder as she opened up her Dora doll present.

Kassady had too much fun and excitement and fell asleep on my shoe.

There is no caption available that adequately explains this picture.
Trey plays his GI Joe trading card game with Anthony and Christy.

Dave keeps a stiff upper lip (nice legs, by the way) while waiting for his soap on the rope.

We left for Peoria on the Thursday following Christmas. For the last several years we have opened presents around New Years Day. We got to Mom and Dad's house where Sharilyn was frantically demanding that we open the presents RIGHT AWAY! Well, Bobby said that he couldn't be there until Saturday night which sent Sharilyn on a downward depressed spiral. However, Bob ended up getting off work early and made it to Mom and Dads on Friday. We opened presents that night.

Trey and Dylan loved helping Dad out by passing out the gifts. I did notice that they slowed down once they got a few gifts themselves.

Sharilyn anxiously awaiting her gift

Trey with another new GI Joe. Obsessed, I'm telling you...

Dylan hands out a gift to "Marmee"

My parents observe a strict no-soda policy in their house.

Jillian cheeses for the camera. She wouldn't let me hold her until the day we left for the airport. She takes after Bob.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trey's ninja garb is awesome.

Greg & Stephanie said...

Love the pic of Dave ~ and the caption was too good. Glad you all had a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

You can't even imagine, or maybe you can, how I laughed about your comments!!! The scary thing was, I was here alone!! "What would Sarah and the girls say?", to quote the drama, Shepherd of the Hills. Loved the pictures, too. Your grandma sure doesn't look 95, does she? It was great!

Carrie said...

Wow! It looks like you guys had a great time! At least you didn't have to do much traveling! :p

Anonymous said...

The pic of your mom, your grandma, and your kids...what does the little "J" balancing atop your bald head stand for?

Anonymous said...

i must say, i got a slight chuckle out of the fork and spoon! where do you find such large wooden utensils?