Wednesday, September 13, 2006

It doesn't take a jeanius...

Every once in a while I come across something in the news that I have to comment on. Check out this article on www.brandweek.com:

Popular jeans brand 7 For All Mankind is the top denim brand for Gen Y consumers ages 17-26. At least that's the latest according to a study conducted for the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association by SLANT, a marketing firm headquartered in Chicago.

Other popular brands among this group include Diesel, Levis, Lucky and Gap. Citizens of Humanity, Old Navy, American Eagle, Guess and Joes Jeans round out the top 10.

According to the survey, 41% of those polled typically spend more than $100
on each denim purchase. Nearly one in three (30.9%) spend $50-99; 28.2% spend
less than $50 on a pair of jeans.

OK, maybe it's just me, but are we getting carried away here. 41% spend more than $100 on a denim purchase. People, they're JEANS! It's not like there's anything intrinsically valuable about a pair of pants, trust me on this. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not on the cutting edge of fashion. I find myself about an inch behind the edge of the shears, but I'm telling you there ain't a pair of jeans worth no $100 (the use of bad English was intentional and in no way reflects on the educational level or intellect of the poster). Between the ages of 17 and 26 I was either in high school, college, or newly married. $100 was the clothing allowance for the year, which is evident in pictures from that time period. Are these kids/young adults racking this up on credit cards or is there some hot job market that I've missed out on? And if it's the parents buying this stuff for their college-bound kids, I must politely say that you are idiots. I wish I could share what I really think on the subject.

In the meantime, I have to run to the dryer to get my Rustlers* out before they wrinkle.

*The only cheap brand of jeans I could think of on the spur of the moment. Wearers of Rustlers need not take offense at the reference. They are actually very durable, even though they cause rash on the knees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith, we're getting old. I remember searching for the perfect jean jacket when I was in high school. It had to have just the right amound of the acid-washed look.

Keith said...

For $100?

Anonymous said...

Amen brother, preach it! We are so blessed to have a teenage daughter who sees the value in inexpensive clothing. She was in Old Navy and found a pair of cargo pants for $34 and almost decided not to buy them because of the price. In the end she did buy them because she has stopped growing and will wear them for a long time. Anyone who has to shop for "back to school clothes" knows how ridiculous prices are...now for the styles of clothing for teenage girls, don't even get me started. Does anyone know about modesty anymore? Shanna

Anonymous said...

Shanna's first four words were stolen right from my mouth. I was going to post those exact words, and see that she already did. And modesty--I am right behind her on that one, too.

Thanks, Shanna, for speaking for me. I couldn't have done it better myself.

Blog on, bro.

Ellen

Keith said...

I have a limit of what I pay for jeans. $30 is it. No more. Now that Wal-Mart sells Levis I can stay within my budget.

Anonymous said...

although i have to say, i'm a sucker for american eagle and abercrombie, their jeans are pretty spendy! at abercrombie i was so excited becuz a sign said jean sale, and i went over and they were on sale for $100. the original price was $175.