Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Roadtrip Recap

About 3:45 yesterday afternoon, I pulled into the Waggoner driveway. It was a long day. Liberty left the Seattle area about 11:00 PM Sunday and at about 3:00 AM Monday morning we were parked by the side of the I-82 due to an electrical problem. I woke up to the sound of rumble strips. I headed up to the front of the bus, wondering why all the lights were off. Dan was just coming in from checking out the fuses. He couldn't find anything out of place, so he put out the emergency triangles and went to bed. I crawled back in my bunk thinking about how vulnerable I was. I sleep closest to the back of the bus and while there is a room between the rear of the bus and my bunk, I would still resemble an accordion should a semi pile into us. My bunk is almost 6 foot long (which is my exact height) and I began to worry about being pile-driven into the closet. Fortunately my fears were unsubstantiated and I woke up none the worse for the circumstance. Come to find out Dan began to obsess with the same thoughts and when I walked to the front of the bus he was camped out on the couch. We had a serviceman come out from Pasco, WA and by 10:30 AM we were on the road.

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend. We spent some more time in Seattle on Saturday. Still a fan. It is a great city to visit. God blessed our concerts and we were able to reconnect with many of our friends.

It is nice to be home, though. Trey starts kindergarten next week, which is just absolutely crazy. There's no way I should be old enough to have a kid in school. Messed up, is what it is. Last night we went over to the school and met with his teacher. She seems like a great lady and Trey likes her. It's one of those bittersweet moments in life, you know. I'm extremely proud of Trey and am looking forward to his school days and activities, but it's hard to think of him not being my little guy. I know, I know, everybody else has gone through it, but let me wallow in my misery. Trey also starts playing in a soccer league next week. Kindergarten and soccer today, college and marriage tomorrow. I'm getting old.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I would say something mushy and sentimental, but my boys have been reeeeeeally bad today, so I'm just not feeling it. Bring on school...!

Anonymous said...

I do sympathize with you Keith. I remember like it was yesterday Alex going off to kindergarten - I cried! Now it's off to 7th grade. You really do get used to it, and then just as you do, they graduate! Christine graduates this year and just yesterday she went off to kindergarten! Now as for getting old, be quiet for a few more years because it makes those of us who really are getting old, feel OLD! Shanna

Anonymous said...

You were in Seattle three weekends too early. I will be in Seattle the weekend of Sept. 8-10. Since Liberty won't be there, I will have to take my friend from South Carolina (whom I am meeting up there) to the Gaither Homecoming at Key Arena that Friday night instead, I guess. Yeah, I have had two tix for the Gaither deal for a couple or three months now--ladies' night out! But we'd probably go hear Liberty instead if we had the chance...

Ellen