Thursday, August 24, 2006

no hablo espanol



I would like to thank Dora the Explorer for the educational impact she has had on my little family. Kassady learned how to count to 10 in Spanish about the same time she learned to count in English. Since we don't normally converse in espanol, I attribute Kassady's bilingual progress to the Dora videos she loves to watch. It's funny to walk through the living room and hear Kassady shouting out Spanish words at the screen. Of course, I was well known for my Spanish skills while a student at GBS. My Spanish 101 teacher despaired of my ever communicating intelligibly. I have not failed her perception in the years since then. Si.

I'm not a huge advocate of kids watching videos. However, if Trey and Kassady are going to watch something, I prefer for it to be educational. Here are the Waggoner Film Institute Top 5 picks for kids:

  1. Dora the Explorer
  2. Blues Clues
  3. Little Einsteins
  4. Veggietales (we've had some really good conversations about God's Word that were initiated by a video)
  5. Higglytown Heroes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean the top 5 picks for KIDS? I STILL LIKE TO WATCH VEGGIETALES! OOPS, I thing I just wrote that for all to read... We all know that "God Is Bigger Than The Boogyman", and just how much "I Love My Lips" and that "Everyone Has A Water Buffalo" and my all time favorite, "Oh, Where Is My Hairbrush"! Thank you Larry & Bob for the years of laughter for children of any age! :-) Shanna

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "think" instead of thing on line 3.

Anonymous said...

i pretty much love dora! she's my favorite. i used to watch her every morning before school, but sadly she doesn't come on at that time anymore. and by "used" to watch every morning i mean last year. lol i'm taking spanish I this year and i'm pretty much a fluent spanish speaker. i owe it all to dora.