Monday, November 28, 2005

What is the best Christmas song ever?

I've been pondering this question for the last week. I was raised in a household where Christmas music begin filtering through the brown speakers on the side of our massive stereo system, which slightly resembled an oversized coffeetable in appearance, about the middle of July (that is not an exaggeration). My mother is a Christmas fanatic, one of only a few who can be put in the Christmas spirit while enduring 100 degree temperatures.

Now I usually begin to spin the holiday tunes sometime in early November. My good friend, and able poster, Carlton put together what I believe to be the quintessential Christmas collection. I don't have the CDs here with me, but I will soon post the album listing.

Mom always listened to the classics: Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Andy Williams, Perry Como, and Johnny Mathis. I still enjoy hearing Bing sing "White Christmas" and Perry sing "Silver Bells". There is a nostalgic feeling that washes over me each time I hear those enduring renditions.

But I have learned to appreciate and love the newer sounds like Mannheim Steamroller, the Transiberian Orchestra, Harry Connick, Jr. and even the album put out by Mariah Carey.

I've heard so many variations on the different carols that it's hard to pick my favorite. I think my favorite secular Christmas song would have to be "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" as sung by Andy Williams.

From a traditional sacred carol, I think I'm going to go with "Joy to the World". Let me hear what your faves are.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I think my favorite secular Christmas song might be "Sleigh Ride." I'll never forget the GBS 1st chair trumpet (I won't mention his name) totally mutilating the horse whinny at the end! It sounded more like a dying loon. My favorite Christmas carol is "I Heard the Bells."

Anonymous said...

Sleigh ride! Has to be my all time fave. I love that song.


Brooke

Anonymous said...

"The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole is nearly perfect. Talk about a feeling of nostalgia. FOr a traditional Christmas carol, I really like "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen." I won't say that those are my favorites, but they are really good.
The Boston Pops version of "Sleigh Ride" is really good.

Anonymous said...

My favorit Christmas song is All I want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.

Keith said...

I left off another favorite: Karen Carpenter singing "Merry Christmas, Darling". Her hauntingly beautiful alto voice is hard to improve on in this classic.

Carrie said...

The whole Carpenter Christmas cd (ok, actually, mine is a cassette tape) is my all-time favorite.

Anonymous said...

"Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy" by The Lettermen was one of my favorites
songs on a tape which was ruined several years ago. I've searched for years. Info about it, please let me know!!!

Love,

Mom