Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Soapbox Rant

OK, I admit it: I'm a music freak. No, not because I sing in a group, not because I graduated with a degree in music, nothing like that. I just enjoy music. It's one of the pleasures God has blessed us with and I revel in it. You know, I'm thankful ol' Jubal got things rolling back in the day. Music has evolved from that time to now, taking on new forms, sounds, and meaning. In one of my recent posts I shared how I was discovering great music that I never knew existed. I now have 15,090 songs loaded on iTunes. I like to hit shuffle and wait to see what comes up on the playlist. To give you an idea, here's what I've heard in the last 45 minutes or so:

The Lefevres: Without Him (Southern Gospel)
Boston Pops Orchestra: Long Live the King (a Tribute to Elvis)
Phillips, Craig, and Dean: The Chipmunk Song (Christmas)
The Hoppers: Old Time Religion (Southern Gospel)
Squire Parsons: You're Not Alone (Southern Gospel)
Michael W. Smith: Agnus Dei (Praise and Worship)
Erich Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra: Live and Let Die (Movie Score)
BackTraxx: Passage (background music)
Avalon: The Christmas Song (Christmas)
Vineyard Music: I Believe in Jesus (Praise and Worship)
Ray Stevens: In the Mood (chickens crowing this jazz standard)
Out of Eden: Paradise (Christian R&B)
Jonathan Heath & Paul Stetler: Ring the Bells of Heaven (sacred instrumental)
Kathy Troccoli: Sounds of Heaven (CCM)
Geoff Moore and the Distance: Home Run (CCM)
Alan Jackson: Silent Night (Christmas)
Peter Duchin: Day by Day (easy listening instrumental)
Michelle Swift & the Maranatha Singers: You're Worthy of My Praise (Praise and Worship)
The Rambos: He Looked Beyond My Fault (Southern Gospel)
Fletch Wiley: For the Beauty of the Earth (Jazz instrumental)
Steve Taylor: I Blew Up the Clinic Real Good (satirical take on extremists who blow up abortion clinics; Christian Rock)
Ernie Haase: Redemption Draweth Nigh (Southern Gospel; from a Gaither taping)

Looking over the list, I enjoyed them all. Well, I don't know, that whole chicken clucking thing on In the Mood did get a little old. Obviously, there were some songs I enjoyed more than others for some reason or another, but I did like them all. I feel the same way about church music.

I've been in about every type and stripe of church that you can imagine in the last 2 years. Everything from Presbyterian to Charismatic, Nazarene to Southern Baptist. One thing that all churches seem to share is an intolerance for each other's music styles. I'm talking about within the church, not Nazarene vs. Baptist. Some of the most awkward moments I've been part of have involved this stupid debate. Yep, that's right: stupid. While talking to the music pastor or senior pastor, I've often been interrupted by some agenda-driven individual who will blurt, "I'm glad we're finally getting some real music in this church" or some inane comment like that. On the other hand, we've been to churches where it was all the praise team could do to talk to us, with us singing that inferior, irrelevant music and all. They tried their best to tout their musical grandiosity and make us feel inferior. Whatever. Both sides are wrong.

Some try to make it an issue of old vs. young. So, they divide up the church and go to 3 styles of services: traditional, contemporary, and modern. I have no problem when a church hosts several services because they have to, but when you do it because we can't agree on the songs we're singing, something is wrong. I have a good friend who hates new "7-11" music (that's the sneering reference used by traditionalists for praise and worship music). I led the music at his church and it just so happened led a couple of Gospel songs that he liked (one of them was Blessed Assurance). After the service, he grabbed my hand and told me how much he appreciated me leading the "good" songs. He had made a comment to me before, so I asked, "What are the good songs?" His response was "something that's old, says something, and has stood the test of time." My response was "thank God someone had the good sense to start singing Blessed Assurance before it stood the test of time or it wouldn't have."

I've been on both sides of the coin. I know what it's like to get criticized because I'm singing "new" songs. And, I know what it's like to feel pressure to not include hymns in my worship leading. I've also learned that at the end of the day neither groups know what they're talking about. And, the intolerance of both sides is splitting the church. It's done it in more than one instance.

I'm convinced that God directs the sensitive worship leader to the right songs for a service, just like he leads the pastor to the proper passage and theme. As a worship leader, if God calls you to lead 7 new choruses or 4 old hymns, than so be it. Lead what He directs. Don't throw in a token song, you know, one to appease a certain segment of the congregation. And, don't run away from any one style of music. The reality is, good and bad songs have always been written. Their worth isn't determined by when it was written. Judge a song on the merits of it's message, not it's age. Discover the church classics; you'll be enriched. Listen to contemporary compositions; you'll be stirred. If you're not a worship leader, take the same recommendations. Open up your minds. There is no spiritual significance in traditionalism or modernism. Relevance is mostly determined by intentional application.

This morning I was reading in Ephesians 4 about living a life worthy of the calling we have received. Unity isn't some unattainable, pie-in-the-sky concept. It is Christ's goal for His bride. I just touched on music, because it seems to be the hot-button issue that I run into the most. We need to make the effort to be unified in our love, respect, appreciation for each other. We're the church! So, the next time you go to church, intentionally worship. Get past your initial misgivings about whatever. Dwell on the words, learn the melody, and sing a new (or old) song unto the Lord.

And, to think, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I turned on iTunes while working here at my desk.



Closing Thoughts
By the way, I've found that most of those praise team members and musicians who initially look down their noses at us, are some of the first to come up to us at the end of the concert, sharing how much our ministry touched them. And, they sheepishly admit that they liked the music. They don't say that because we're the best musicians. We're not (well, at least I'm not). They say it because we sing the songs God leads us to sing for that time, that place. And, no, we don't sing the same set every concert (sound of gunshot; another myth falls).

In contemporary churches, guess what our best-selling CDs are? You got it, the Timeless Treasured Hymns series.

Oh yeah, one more: If a person under 40 comes to the product table, guess what CD they invariably buy? Uh-huh, a CD from our Timeless Treasured Hymns series. Hmmmm...

Try this: tell your worship leader how much you appreciate their song service on Sunday. It's not going to kill you, I promise.

18 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

Hey Keith - thanks for that little rant... :-D I'm right there with you & couldn't have said it any better! My hubby & I have been blessed to attend a church that does a really great mix of music. No, we don't sing hymns every Sunday, but I can guarantee that the music will be relevant & worshipful every week (& as a bonus they often throw in some great hymns when you're least expecting it.) It's great to know that I'm not the only one out there that enjoys a nice mix of all the different genres of Christian music...especially since they technically are all written for the same purpose - to worship GOD! :-) Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Good post, Baby!! I love variety in music also, and you know, God does speak through all types of music!!!

The Grahams said...

Good preaching!

My mp3 list seems like yours: I could play it for 17 days (408 hours) without a repeat. And while it contains everything from Avalon to Brent Vernon to Cathedrals to David Phelps to the Kingdom Heirs to the Newsboys and Petra, there's nothing like scrolling through to find Liberty's Let Someone Find Jesus Today.

There it is: right after GVB's Let Freedom Ring.

;)
Andrew

Cher said...

Nope we got to stay with the "good music". None of that rock and roll music. Been around for years music is the only kind for me.

Ha Ha Ha My MP3 is similar except I don't have 15,000+ songs on my itunes. Some how the oldies have become almost sacred, and seem to have a en graven place in some of our thick heads. Our church does a good mix and I am just ok with that.

I will say that you seem to have had a mission in mind in todays post though. I think that will preach.

Keith said...

Jenn, using music for worship is a novel idea. "Oh, this is for God? My bad."

OK, Andrew, you are the man. When you actually scroll to get to the Liberty song...that's dedication.

And, Aaron, instead of a graven image we have a graven tune. OK, bad analogy.

Lori, you mean even Newsboys?

SheilaDy said...

That was good Keith!! Thank you for saying it!

During Worship we will sing, "You Are My King(Amazing Love)", and I find myself completely in awe of God's love for me, and I worship! Then we will sing "A Mighty Fortress", and I am reminded that Christ is my Shelter, and my Helper, and my Protector...and I worship!
I love it all...well, most of it!
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Sheila

Amy said...

I'm glad to hear you don't have a "set" you sing at each concert - my mom and I (and a group of friends) were at your concert in Ripon and are going to go to the one in Ceres/Modesto when you come back in April (again, with some friends)!

Anonymous said...

Keith - That was an amazing post. Something for all of us to take to heart. Music is about worship not me, me, me... We are lucky to have a church that really mixes it up and everyone seems to really dial in and experience what worship is about. Hope your family is doing well. Does your group ever come to Bloomington, IN?
We go to Valley Mission Nazarene in Bedford/Bloomington and they have concerts every month with Greater Vision, Gold City, etc... Just waiting to see you guys.

Wes and Kelly Key

Jamie said...

Thank you so much for what you said. It's actually what I've been thinking in my head for a little while, but you said it so well! :) If a song is God-inspired...it is God-inspired...end of story. It doesn't matter if it was written in 1808 or 2008! Just wanted to say thank you for your honesty!

Anonymous said...

I agree with this post and have experienced this myself. I travel and sing in a southern/contemporary gospel group, and it is amazing the things people will say. Like, "Some of the people at this church really like your kind of music." As if to say, "But I don't." Those same people are often the ones who find that they really DO like it and tell us so. They'd just never given it a chance.
Here's my problem, though: The post and the comments each mention two kinds of music -- contemporary choruses and hymns. But what about gospel songs? I sing in at least a hundred churches a year, and I've found that this third category is severely lacking in most worship services. But when people hear it, they LOVE it, and they're blessed by it.
It's really a shame that even people who have gospel music on their Ipods forget to mention this.

Keith said...

Wes and Kelly, I just gave our booking agent the contact information for Valley Mission yesterday. We're hoping to be in Indiana later this year. Good to hear from you!

As for anonymous, are you referring to Gospel songs such as "When We All Get to Heaven", "I've Anchored in Jesus", and so forth or are you talking about Southern Gospel songs? Just a little clarification. If you're talking about Gospel songs, I did refer to that indirectly with my aside about "Blessed Assurance". While I agree that there is a difference between a hymn and a gospel song, most people's definition of a hymn is "a song in the hymnal." To avoid the technicalities of hymnology I summed up both by referring to them as hymns.

Now, if you're meaning Southern Gospel songs, in what context are they lacking in the worship service? In the congregational singing? In the special songs? Thanks for your clarification.

Anonymous said...

Keith, What happened to this morning's post from me? Did it get lost somewhere out in space? I hope that you were able to read it as it was from my heart to yours and all the friends of Liberty as well. Shelby

Keith said...

I'm not sure what happened, Shelby. Please post it again.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can qualify a hymn as a song out of the hymnal. Hymals vary dramatically. When I say "gospel song," I am referring to both classic gospel songs and "Southern Gospel." I think both are lacking in worship services -- in both congregational singing and special music. Though, I will grant that most modern Southern Gospel would not lend itself to congregational singing. (Although even that is not a hard & fast rule. A few years ago, my church choir did "I Stand Redeemed" as an anthem. You wouldn't believe the people -- many who claim not to like Southern Gospel -- who LOVED that song. Of course, they had no idea that a gospel quartet made it famous.)
For some reason, many churches have relegated gospel standards to one day a year ("Western Day" or "Country Day") or to senior adults. My group has sung at quite a few of these special country days at various churches, and people love the music. They love "In the Sweet By and By" and "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and "Haven of Rest," etc. I just don't understand why those songs (which are not in many hymnals) either NEVER see the light of day in churches or are relegated to once a year.
I also don't understand why even special music is usually the latest contemporary song. I have gotten more mileage as a church soloist out of southern gospel songs like "Unmerited Favor" and "He Looked Beyond My Fault" than you can imagine. It seems everyone loves these songs. They want to know where I found them -- if I wrote them, even. It just amazes me that people aren't exposed to it when it ministers to powerfully.
I'll close this ridiculously long post with a story. A few months ago, my group was asked to sing at another one of these once-a-year "country" singings at a Methodist church in the South. The music minister asked us a couple weeks in advance to send a list of some songs (and lyric sheets) we could do with the congregation. I think the songs on our list were "Unclouded Day," "The Old Gospel Ship," "In the Sweet By and By," "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and "I'll Fly Away." Guess which one he chose. -- "I'll Fly Away," becaue it was the only one he'd ever heard of.
I think that is crazy. And sad.

Keith said...

I agree with you in the strictest sense that you can't qualify a hymn as a song out of the hymnal. But, as I said, without spending quite a bit of time explaining the lyrical differences between a hymn and a gospel song this is a quick reference (which seems to work with most).

I, too, share your frustration at the perceived music elitism of churches. However, as you pointed out toward the end of your post, the elitism may actually be the fact that they don't know the Southern Gospel standards that you and I both love. I think the reason many sing the latest contemporary hit is because that's what they're listening to. Many people love this style of music; they just don't know they do until they hear it. I'm sure that's why people worship with you when you sing "Unmerited Favor". The lyrics are God-honoring and serve as a testimony that most can relate to. I find the same to be true in our concerts.

Like I said earlier, though, worship is not about my preference for music style. It's about songs that bring glory to God, whether they be old or new.

Anonymous said...

Keith, I have loved reading both your post and the replies to it. (When I have time, I will add the earlier post as I remember it.) I will say now that for me music is at the heart of bringing me to the point of truest worship.

Anonymous said...

Keith,

Great post! I think that you have done a good job getting down to what is really important.

I am convinced that music has become an idol for many. It has become an object of worship. It is amazing how Christians (me too) can become so self-absorbed. It is human nature to “like what I like.” But when “what I like” causes me to dislike, disdain, scorn, scathe, and maim the character and testimony of other Christians who don’t “like what I like”, there is a huge problem.

It is difficult for human beings to disagree and not also disconnect. When the focus is on what separates us, rather than on what unites us, it becomes nearly impossible. I have to constantly remind myself that the very existence of music forms that I don’t altogether enjoy only proves that there are people that DO enjoy those forms of music.

I don’t think that we all have a good grasp on what it means to be tolerant. John Dickson, in his little book "If I Were God, I’d Make Myself Clearer" speaks on tolerance. He says “True tolerance...is both intellectually rigorous and culturally sensitive, in that it acknowledges the real differences among the faiths (insert music style, worship style, or whatever here). Perhaps more importantly, it [tolerance] has the power to dispel bigotry and discrimination based on differences. For if we could all learn to honor and care for those with whom we profoundly disagree, our disagreements would only ever provide the basis for engagement and discussion with others, never fear and hostility toward them. We would be free to contradict but never to disrespect, to persuade, but never to coerce. In a multicultural society like ours, tolerance of this kind is a rare and greatly needed commodity.”

Thanks for placing the music debate in the realm of Ephesians 4. It challenges my thinking in a very positive way. It’s edifying.

Cher said...

Well Keith

I think just maybe you should continue this thought with a follow-up. There has to be more in that shiny dome of yours that you might bestow on us.
Oh wise one.