Thursday, January 24, 2008

Church

This morning I had breakfast with a guy who had this to say about his church:
"I was raised in a strict fundamentalist church who was obsessed with being right. We might have been small, not growing, but that didn't matter 'because we're RIGHT'! As I got older I went through a dark time in my life and got away from church. About two years after my divorce I showed up at church a broken man, nervous. But those people loved me. You know looking at it now it kinda reminds me of the Oakland Raiders: they take people who are on the downside of their career, believe in them, and give them another chance. That's what my church did for me. They loved me and helped me come back to Jesus."
Is that an awesome testimony or what? That's what a church should be about.

By the way, his church is Boise Calvary Chapel. I don't know anything about the church, but I'm impressed. It's not the first time I've heard that from their attendees. I've never met Bob Caldwell, but the fact that his people are willing to lay down their lives for him (in a good way, not a cultist way) speaks volumes about his ministry.

Reminds me of the line from the JD Sumner & the Stamps song: "What kind of church would my church be if every member was just like me?"

2 comments:

Cher said...

Keith I think there might be another Soap box rant here. I think that
temperature of a church can a lot of times be found in the way they love there own people that have fallen not in the way they make over on new people that come into there church. I understand that this friend of yours found a new church but still I believe we miss it if we can't love our own people. All of them.
Thanks for this thought.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

I could also give you an awesome testimony about the most wonderful church in Oklahoma that loved us in a way that even our families couldn't. The love they gave us helped put our family back together and during that time our children and Clark gave their hearts to Jesus!!!! Our youngest son said that it was the best days of his life! Shelby