Friday, January 25, 2008

Beefing up my iTunes playlist

If you're like me you have a bunch of cassette tapes collecting dust in a storage container out in the garage. I have about 300-400 cassettes that I collected up to, oh, about 1993. I never got rid of them, but I never listened to them either. I always told myself that I would transfer them to CD sometime (yeah right). Never happened. So, through 3 moves, from Indiana to Ohio to Idaho those tapes have always accompanied me. Kind of like baseball cards, you know, which is a whole different post.

Anyway, I investigated different options to transfer my cassettes to a digital format: freeware, new sound cards, everything I could think of. I never did find freeware that I was happy with, the new sound cards were too expensive, so over time I just forgot about it. Well, one of my Christmas presents was the Xitel INport Deluxe for PC. This handy little product has taken all of those complicated steps out of the cassette to digital format process. Simply plug one end of an RCA cord into the cassette deck and the other end into the Inport adaptor and plug the adaptor's USB cable into your computer. It's that easy! Now, you do have to transfer in real time, no short cuts there, but the end result is so rewarding. The accompanying software includes a click corrector that allows the user to clean up the files. The LP Ripper allows you to trim tracks, isolate tracks, whatever you need to do to get them ready to import into iTunes or whatever jukebox program you use. The tracks are recorded in wav format, but there's a little free add-on available for download that allows you to convert them to mp3s. I highly recommend it. I'm rediscovering some great music. For instance, in the last few days I've imported:

Dean Hopper: Solo But Never Alone
Mid South Boys: Shoulder to Shoulder (an awesome album)
Take 6: So Much 2 Say
The Talleys: Typical Day
Christ Church Choir: All Praise
Gold City: Portrait
Russ Taff: (self-titled)
Perfect Heart: I Hold a Clear Title
Michael English: Freedom
Wayne Watson: How Time Flies
Heavenbound: We Are Those Children

If you want to get rid of all those extra cassettes and don't want to mess with importing them in, box them up and mail them to:

Keith Waggoner
16702 Ardyce Ave.
Caldwell, ID 83607

I'll give them a good home. I promise.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine what your mailman will think if lots of people start sending you their cassettes? S.D.

Ellen said...

Mid South Boys: Shoulder to Shoulder. Yes, an awesome album. I totally agree!

The Going Blog said...

Just last night we had friends over and after supper we did a little can you guess who is singing now trivia. Some of the cassettes were Take Six, Talleys, Imperials. Good stuff!

Carrie said...

I can't believe that you don't have your OWN family's tapes on your iTunes list!!

Wow. Am I ever disappointed.

Keith said...

Actually, I have them on the iTunes playlist. Every person should be so privileged as to own their own copy of Keithie and Bobby blaring out "Step Into the Water".

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I've been doing the same thing for the last few years with my old cassettes.

My method: I purchased a very inexpensive audio cord (mini plug male / mini plug male) from Radio Shack. I open one of several recording programs--either the free "Audacity" program, or Acoustica's Spin it Again (which makes it easy to divide into tracks and remove pops). I hook up the wire to my tape/LP player's audio out jack, press the record button on the program, press the play button on the tape/LP player, and I'm off and running.

You can get just the cord for a couple of dollars (I'm thinking $3-$7). "Spin it Again" costs $30 or $40, but Audacity is free.

Carrie said...

I feel so much better. ;)

tacomom said...

I'll have to share this info with Tony. I think we've pitched cassettes along the way but there is still a box in my upstairs closet. Hmmm...as for the MidSouth Boys tape - I ordered Tony what was SUPPOSED to be two of their CDs in original packaging for a nice price ($70+) for Christmas. Imagine my surprise when he opened them and they were remakes? I was sick. But the amazon dealer had no clue since he was getting them from a supplier and not opening them. He did refund my money. Unfortunately, I'd sold Tony's MidSouth tapes at a garage sale in the first year of our marriage (about caused a divorce I think!) I don't know what possessed me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info I have tons of Records and Tapes I want to get on cds before they are lost forever
Naomi