Thursday, January 10, 2008

Presidential Prelection

I've enjoyed keeping up with the presidential primaries of both parties. The calculated speeches, the acerbic barbs couched in innocent repartee, and the constant calls for "change" (though the change advocated is never clearly defined) all point to the interesting race that's shaping up. I declared early on that I was really impressed with Huckabee. That was before his somewhat questionable record came up, which it always does in these primaries. There were several issues that caused concern. I appreciate his Christian worldview, but it takes more than just being a Christian to get my support. From the sounds of the blogs of some of my friends, we should vote for him just because he's evangelical and a really good guy. Well, I'm a Christian and a really nice guy but I'm not qualified to be President. I want to see a plan for the future that makes sense. Don't just wow me with impassioned delivery (can you say Obama?). Clearly define what your plan is for this country. Financially, this country's in a mess and somebody better have a plan to reduce our national debt, repair our Social Security system (or come up with a good privatization program), and cut the pork that seems to inevitably find it's way into every spending bill. I want to see a realistic plan for what's going to happen in Iraq, what we're going to do about our dependency on foreign oil, and what we're going to do about free trade. I would like for a candidate to clearly define their position on illegal immigration, one that is realistic and can be enforced. What are we going to do about our plodding tax system, the rising cost of healthcare/insurance, and our broken educational system? Of course, there are several social issues that bother me, as well. I haven't seen anyone who has clearly defined who they are.

I'm not sure who I support to be honest with you. I do like Huckabee's Fair Tax proposal, though I'm not sure how it would impact 501(c)3 organizations.

There's an program I heard about on Fox News that I found interesting. Try out the Candidate Calculator for yourself.

For the record, my #1 choice ended up being Tom Tancredo, followed by Huckabee and Romney.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith,
AMEN! Hallelujah! I was beginning to think I was the only one out there questioning Mike Huckabee. A vote against Mike Huckabee is not a vote against Christianity! If we went on that logic no one should have voted for Ronald Regan but Jimmy Carter the Southern Baptist. Thank you for being brave enough to stand up for what you believe in. I'm leaning towards Mitt Romney but after the debate tonight I'm going to take a good hard look at Fred Thompson. I took the quiz and I too scored 100% for Tom Tancredo, 95.24% for Fred Thompson and 3rd place John Cox, who is John Cox? Anyway thanks for the thought provoking post!
Michele (Eisenhart) Jewett

Anonymous said...

I really liked Tom Tancredo, too, but he dropped out on December 20th. Right now I'm leaning (but not committed) Huckabee.

I just tried the test. Wow! It's really out of date. It showed Tom Tancredo as my closest fit, and he's out. It showed Huckabee as my 2nd, Duncan Hunter as 3rd, and Sam Brownback as 4th. But Brownback dropped out months ago--something like September.

Either way, it's pretty much a moot point for both of us, since Ohio doesn't vote until March 4 and Iowa until May 27 (for the GOP primary)--probably long after things are decided.

Pete said...

Well, if McCain gets in, he can run the foreign issues, Huckabee as VP can give him the proper advice on internal affairs.

That along with privatizing the IRS and USPS, we might be onto something.

Then again, what do I know.

Jamie said...

I enjoyed doing the candidate calculator! My top three ended up being Huckabee, Romney, and Thompson. Very interesting. Have a great day! Your blog is always alot of fun to read!
Brian and Jamie

Anonymous said...

I am a political junkie and as my late husband Hon. Jack N. Smitherman (former IN state legislature for 5 terms) use to say I am a rock throwing, card carrying republican. However, I can just about tolerate any of the choices we have but I will never vote for anyone who blieives in abortion or homesexuality. Sorry if I offend anyone but it is Bibical principles.

Carrie said...

I feeling you, Keith. I thought my decision was made, but now I'm not so sure.

If our country had another crisis like 9/11, who would be the best man (notice I said "man") for the job? Does Huckabee have the experience with foreign policy to be able to pull us through something like that? I just don't know.