Monday, June 25, 2007

Trey's Graduation

Trey graduated from kindergarten last month. Here are a few pictures from his graduation ceremony and party:


Our graduate

He didn't waste any time getting across that platform to grab his diploma.

Trey and his teacher, Ms. Roerig.


Kassady wanted her own picture with Trey.


Trey and his proud family.

Probably one of the worst-sounding choirs of all time. But, I loved it!


Trey, Katrina, and Johnessa (classmates and church buddies)

Trey and Emme

When Trey realized that a graduation party meant presents, he was all for it.




Ok, so I admit it: I did get a little bit sentimental. I guess there is a little bit of Sharon Waggoner buried deep within me. I was fine at the ceremony, but the day before Trey's graduation I sat in my chair thinking about how fast time goes by. I mean, just yesterday I was teaching him to count, laughing as he discovered the difference between a slice of an apple and a slice of a lemon, pulling him out of the crib so he could sleep in our bed (big mistake there; I'm still paying for it), and watching him attempt his first steps. Since then, I've witnessed the development of his personality, watched him throw a ball for the first time, and learned that burps can provide hours of entertainment for a pre-schooler (Lori was the one belching). The coolest moment came when I was in Fresno for the 2006 Fan Fest. Trey called me and told me that he had asked Jesus to come into his heart. Nothing beats it! Just a few weeks ago with no prompting, Trey reminded me of what Jesus had done for him and told me that he was trying his best to be a "good boy for Jesus". I couldn't help but get emotional as all of the above and many other memories came flooding back. It's been a great journey! I'm privileged to be a dad.
In fact, I'm crying even as I type this. My tears have nothing to do with sentimentality, however. Lori just read the part about the belching and is hitting me over the head with the iron. OWWW!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should we expect to see pictures of your bruises? When I read what you said about Lori I knew you would pay for that comment. :-)
I relate totally with your reflections on kids. Taking Christine to Moscow to tour the campus this past weekend was a killer. Realizing that on August 11th we'll take her there and LEAVE HER THERE was more than I could handle! The early years are hard in their own way, but I'm finding nothing yet has rivaled letting go.
Shanna

Carrie said...

Great pictures! Trey looks so grown-up wearing a mortarboard!

Unknown said...

I don't think that I will ever forget the time when a whole bunch of us went to Larosa's and poor Trey was given a lemon and told it was an apple. I think we all laughed until we cried. The look he gave you was priceless. It is hard to believe he's headed for 1st grade. Time goes way to fast.

Keith said...

Dorcas, that was the same event that I was thinking about.