Thursday, June 28, 2007

God & Country (and some really good groups)

Last night, Lori and I took the kids over to the Idaho Center for the 40th annual Treasure Valley God and Country Rally. I always want to get there early to make sure I have a good spot for the concert. My spot is getting very popular, so an early arrival is imperative.

It's in my genes. My grandmother is 30 minutes early to church for every service and she handed it down to my Dad, who spends most of his time prior to going to church, going out to eat, going to the gas station (you get the picture) yelling,"C'mon! Lessgo!" He imparted this wonderful gift to me, much to Lori's chagrin. She is perfectly comfortable with arriving just in time for an event. It never bothers Lori if she runs a little late, which causes much consternation in my carefully regimented world. Our only arguments (I do not exaggerate) have come from our differing opinions of time and its importance. But, I digress.

We got there in plenty of time, spread our blankets out at my desired spot and all was well (besides the near-100 degree temperature). Marc and Talisha (and kids) met us a little bit later. While walking around perusing the food available at the booths, we ran into Markus Holloway. So, he and Johanna (and kids) joined us. After a while Bob Taylor showed up. Before it was all said and done Terry, Brooklyn, and Bridget Taylor came over (having just left the hospital where Terry's new baby girl was born earlier in the evening). It was a fun night! Friends, music, and fireworks: does life really get any better?

Lori, Trey, and Kassady smiling and grimacing while we waited in the blazing sun for the concert to begin.

Mark Harris, lead singer for 4Him (one of the greatest Christian contemporary groups of all time), did an outstanding job solo. He can tear up an acoustic guitar. He has written some of my favorite CCM songs. I sang along with most of his set.

A new guy on the CCM scene (at least to me) is Brandon Heath. He has written some outstanding praise & worship songs. Seemed like a nice guy.

And, then, one of my favorite groups of all time, in all genres: Phillips, Craig, & Dean. This was the first time that I have seen them with a live band since 1994 . They brought the house down. I don't know of any other group that has consistently produced better songs than this trio. Awesome! Shawn Craig recently married a girl from Boise, so I hope they'll be in the area more often. I shouldn't complain. They show up at least once a year as it is. While they were singing, I remarked to Talisha that I felt like a baby-boomer at a Doobie Brothers concert. I knew all the words to their old songs and sang along loudly. And, I admit, I did wave my cell phone slowly in the air as dusk settled in.

You can tell that Kassady frequents mostly Southern Gospel concerts. She's not into the loud music.

Trey spent most of his time hanging out with his buddies Johnessa and Emme.

We had our own mosh pit going on. This picture was taken shortly after Kassady did a little crowd-surfing.

Kassady stylin' it with her bud Addison. That poor guy can't get away from that persistent woman.

Addison scopes out the action.

No God and Country Rally is complete without the time-honored custom of men with really ugly legs wearing kilts showing up to deliver a wrenching, nasally rendition of God Bless America. One of my favorite moments was when the God and Country host asked the crowd to bow their heads in prayer. The chief bagpipe instrumentalist took this as a cue to jump into a rip-roaring version of America the Beautiful. The host, well, for the matter, the entire crowd stood silent with heads bowed, waiting as the bagpipe cadre marched off the field (around 150 yards in length) playing all the way. Very funny.

The fireworks are always the favorite part. They did a fantastic job this year! Not quite Cincinnati's Labor Day display, but almost. Once again, Kassady was overtaken with the dynamic performance.

Markus just lives for these performances. I mean, body language is everything!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to side with Lori on the time argument.

Keith said...

Trust me, I know you would. By the way, I found a funny picture of you the other day. Do you remember Osama bin Laura? I need to post that one!

Anonymous said...

Be nice! By the way, please email me because I do not know your address. You can find mine on my blog. I have a question about your parents.

Carrie said...

I remember a great Philips, Craig and Dean concert we went to! That was also my introduction to Aaron/Geoffrey. I'd never seen a man look so much like Barney the dinosaur without actually BEING him!

That's not the time we went to Arby's, was it?

Anonymous said...

No, Carrie. I think we went to Arby's right before going to King's Island. But we did have a great time at the PCD concert. That was my first (and last) Aaron/Geoffrey concert, drums and all!!! We had some great times. Wish we lived closer to enjoy some more.

Carrie said...

I THOUGHT the Arby's was before Kings' Island, I just couldn't remember for sure.

Anyway, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

why didn't Jeff somehow inherit wanting to be early--or at least on time???? Seems like there is always one who wants to be right on time and one who wants to be early---and I'm the one one the early side of it. And yes, Jeff and I have commented on that alot to each other!ha!
Julie W.