Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The New Album

Another album is done...finally! This new (still unnamed) project features all original songs, most of which were written specifically for Liberty Quartet. At the risk of sounding cheesy and self promoting I have to tell you that I am extremely excited about this album. In my opinion it's going to rank as one of the best Liberty albums ever released in terms of overall production. Phil Cross is an amazing vocal arranger. He has the ability to hear harmonies that wouldn't have even occurred to these (clap on the 1 and 3 and don't forget the suspension at the end of the chorus) ears. I have to be honest, I was a little skeptical going into the session with Phil. I mean, Royce is pretty good at arranging music, so why do we need the guy? I figured it out after the first song we recorded. He makes the song come alive. Where was he during my college quartet days (even though, I had some pretty cool moves on the song "Jesus Cares for You"; right, guys?)? This isn't just your typical SG singer who is pretty decent at hearing a part. He's a choral arranger, and it shows.

This album has something for everyone. If you like Praise & Worship, it's on there. If light pop is more your taste, you'll find a song. You like country or Gospel? Got it. Of course, there are several straight-ahead Southern Gospel quartet songs on this project as well. It's going to be a favorite, I'm convinced.

The song list (in no particular order) is:

Near to the Heart of God
Freedom
There's a Testimony
May Someone Find Jesus Today
I'm His
Great Day
Helping Hand
Mastered by the Master
Glorious Tomorrow
Look What He's Already Done
Take What We Have

Some of my favorite songwriters have collaborated to make this a lyrically strong CD. It should be out the first of November. Below are a few pics from the studio:

Royce looks over Scott's (as in Scott Pergande, our engineer) shoulder, just to make sure he's doing it right. He's all about getting his money's worth. ("Scott, nope that's not it. You messed up. Take another $3 off the bill")


Doran contemplates the hook and lyrics to his soon-to-be big hit "Take What We Have". As of last sighting he was still contemplating. The rest of us left.


Yeah, Bill, you've gotta get these Liberty boys on your Homecoming Tour. People are gonna love 'em. (2 hours and 13 minutes later, following an intense laydown of "There's a Testimony") "Uh, Bill. This is Phil again. Scratch that."


There is great rejoicing in the studio when Dan nails the verse of "Great Day". We passed out little cigars with blue bows on them.


Royce singing subtly in the background, hopes that Phil notices his low bass tones. He noticed.


Scott (who has mastered the art of the sarcastic comment; he's hilarious) ponders whether or not to offer commentary on Royce's legs (see photo above).


Phil tries to figure out what in the world to do with the melody of "Great Day". He kept shaking his head and muttering "Too many words." Actually, he paid me the ultimate compliment on the song.


Dan collapsed after recording his verses on "Great Day". He's not as young as he used to be.


Survivors.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even yet have the album recorded previous to THIS one--and now you throw this one at me! How much patience do you think I have, anyway? You sure know how to tantalize a person.

Well, it's seven days more plus office and shipping time until I have to be only half as patient as I am having to be now.

Seriously, I am positive the album just recorded will be a winner--am looking forward to hearing it. Thanks so much for the "inside look".

And if you hurry, you can greet Bill Friday morning as he disembarks in Seattle... Surprise me on stage at Key Arena that night!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Ellen. It is just plain ole mean to get us all excited about a CD that we can't hear for months! But knowing that it will be worth the wait makes it tolerable. Shanna

Anonymous said...

Don't be making fun of my nephew's bowed legs! He can't help it; they are just like his dad's (my brother)! Neva

Keith said...

It's great to hear from you, Neva. I wouldn't blame anyone for those legs, though. JK

Anonymous said...

You've come a long way since you & Bobby sang with Dad & me on our first cassette tape!!!! You gave it all you had, tho' on "John the Revelator" & "Step into the Water".
(smile) We can't wait for your new recordings. I just can't seem to hear your tenor on Liberty's previous projects.