Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Sights

Alaska has to have some of the most beautiful vistas of any state. I sheepishly admit that I don't always pay attention to God's gorgeous scenery, but there's something different about Alaska's landscapes. They jump out and grab you. They demand attention. I have several pics of the great Alaskan outdoors, but they don't do justice to its grandeur. So, I'm just going to post a few, especially for Shanna. Enjoy!

Mt. McKinley, by far, was my favorite spot. It's imposing presence can't be missed on a clear day and is just awe-inspiring. This was the 7th time for Liberty to be in Alaska, but this was the first time Royce had been able to see McKinley. It was worth the wait, I'm sure. We spent over an hour taking pictures and just taking it all in.


Speaking of an imposing presence...

Royce and I attempt to show the viewing public how large McKinley is. Our conservative estimate is at about 5'8".


I had never seen a glacier before, so I was blown away by this immense ice object. Very cool! I try to keep my cool in these types of situations and so am very hesitant to look like anything but an absolute moron when being photographed. What facial expression are you supposed to use while posing in front of a glacier, anyway?



Royce forgot his camera, so he took some really clear cellphone pics. Those .75 megapixel cameras are just amazing.


We were fortunate enough to catch a large bull moose frolicking in the great Alaskan outdoors. That was an incredible sight! Wow!


We were also fortunate enough to catch a Southern Gospel pianist frolicking in the great outdoors. Not quite as impressive as the moose, I can assure you. Very disturbing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are just beautiful. Also your captions are just wonderful - I know that because I actually laugh out loud when I read them. :-) I enjoy your blog so much because it lets "we poor souls left at home" experience a bit of what you see and do. Keep up the good work. Shanna

Carrie said...

Keith, here I am looking forward to your awe-inspiring pictures, and now all I can do is re-read your captions and laugh! I'd love to be able to catch a frolicking southern pianist out in the wild on film. I'm sure it was a once in a lifetime sight!

Anonymous said...

i have to say, i like your awkward poses keith. those made me laugh almost more than your captions. not quite though. oh, my favorite picture is the one with the glacier where the sun is gleaming off your bald head!!! one word of advice: stick to wearing hats!! haha!!

Anonymous said...

The glacier picture was good, but really only because of your expression. You look like someone who was just told that he was adopted and slightly slower than the other kids at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Your pictures are awesome Keith! Sounds like you had a great trip to Alaska. I'd love to go up there sometime, too! But while you were singing in concerts and enjoying the beauty of God's creation there were lots and lots of people working really hard in PA at a place called Roxbury aka AYC. We sure missed you this year and hope you'll be back again next year. A little birdie or maybe I should say a large birdie told me that several crazy people were going to give you a call really early one morning to ask you a stupid question about the printing of the Appalachia? Did that happen? That's very cruel to bother someone with something so minute as that when they are in Alaska! ha!! Glad you had a great time!!