Tuesday, July 11, 2006

McCune

I just got back from the Gold City concert in Nampa. Without going into a lot of detail, I just want to say that their new bass singer, 25 year old Aaron McCune, is on track to be one of the all-time greats. I first heard him 7 years ago in Winston-Salem, NC where as a rookie for the Anchormen Quartet he blew all the other basses away at a Ray Flynn Promotions concert. Ironically enough, one of the bass singers that night was Tim Riley.

I have to say that Aaron is already better than Tim. And that's not putting Tim down. Tim belongs in the bass singer Hall of Fame. It's just that McCune is incredible. If he would just stop fiddling around with his monitor (in his ear and the controls on his belt) and sing it would be that much better. We were with him at Fresno when he was still with Palmetto State. We'll be with him again in Canada, and I'm looking forward to it. I like listening to a bass singer who knows how to hit notes cleanly without lots of fake growling noises. You know, like Royce (just in case you're reading this, buddy).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith, I think you missed it. George Younce all the way.

Anonymous said...

It is interesting how 2 people can hear the same person sing and come up with 2 totally different opinions. When I hear Tex sing it always sounds like he's pushing to sing lower than his voice naturally allows. When he was with The Anchormen he sang " O Death" and the last note of the song is painful to listen to. As for young bass singers Christian Davis beats Tex to pieces, in my opinion. Gold City has not been the same since Tim retired. I do still like their music though.

Anonymous said...

Are you the guy that Plays drums at ayc?....Just curious