Thursday, June 08, 2006

Seattle

Seattle is a striking city, overlooking the beautiful Puget Sound. The water is surprisingly clear and clean. I guess tree-huggers are good for something. Hopefully, Lori and I will be going back to visit where I can spend a little more time exploring the city. Dan, Doran, and I dropped Royce off at Sea-Tac to catch a flight back for Jeremiah's graduation. We then headed for the heart of Seattle. We parked along the waterfront and walked all over the city. After a couple of hours at the Coast Guard base we headed over to Pike's Place Market (http://www.pikeplacemarket.org) and watched people throw fish around. Very entertaining. We strolled along Pike Place scoping out the sights. We also partook of some classic Seattle cuisine: hot dogs from Taxi Dogs and some slices from DeLaurenti Pizza Window. While we ate we listened to some of the street acts performing. Even though I hate coffee, I still had to pose in front of the original Starbucks. Who would have thought the mega-empire would have started in this little joint? And who would think that people are stupid enough to pay over $5 for a cup of joe? After dining we walked a ways to the Space Needle and spent some time exploring that area. We then took a taxi back to Pike's Place (it was a long walk and we were lazy) and enjoyed some more music. Our last stop was at the world-famous Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe where I picked up some interesting candy for Trey and Kassady.

Overall it was a great day. I want to go back and discover the underground city. Enjoy the pictures.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

Hint: a local told us that the price you pay to see the underground city isn't worth it. However, don't take my word for it, because we were saving money that day.

Near Pioneer Square is a really cool bookstore that puts Barnes & Noble to shame. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.

You need to take Trey on the Monorail!

Carrie said...

Hey, you should also go check out the World Vision headquarters. It's near the airport and they give free tours. Their organization is really neat.

Carrie said...

Sorry, I could tell you of things to see that would be 3 months' worth of vacation. That's why we had to go 3 years in a row (Because you NEED to drive out to the coast, too. It's totally different from Florida or anywhere else on the East Coast. I can give you the name of a great bed-and-breakfast out there!)

Carrie said...

Have I made it obvious yet that we REALLY love Seattle?