Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Presence

Isn't it great when God just takes over a service? I've recently witnessed several powerful instances of the Spirit of God settling down in our midst at Grace Bible Church.

The last few teen services have been especially marked with the presence of God. This past Wednesday was incredible! God is beginning to do something special in the lives of our youth group. I use many sermon aids when sharing the message God has given me. Music, skits, visual illustrations, and multimedia are utilized when appropriate. Normally, most teen services are started off with either an informal or high-energy approach. I then segue into my sermon with a chorus, personal illustration, or something that is an attention-grabber.

However, this past week I felt God leading me in a different direction. While normally spending the opening moments with choruses and small-talk, I knew that this service was to be different. I used a video for part of my presentation called "Rain". Produced by Rob Bell, pastor of the Mars Hill Church in Grandville, MI (http://www.mhbcmi.org/) this video took a personal illustration from the life of Rob and weaved through the story a message of God's faithfulness and help in the dark times we often face.

The Holy Spirit settled down in a close way that I have rarely witnessed in any of the other ministries I've been a part of. Many of the teens shared with me the hurts that have overwhelmed them. Most of them shared that there have been times when they felt that God let them down. We were able to talk frankly about the problem of pain, the frustration of trying to find God, as well as God's response to our hurts. I didn't realize the hurts many of my teens were struggling with.

I saw God began to break down some of those walls Wednesday evening. Did I see an overwhelming response to the message? No, not in the sense of the altars being lined. But I have seen God begin to do a new thing in the lives of my teens since that time. I truly believe that revival is on the way. It's pretty incredible to just be there.

God is good all the time, people! Joel 2:28.

By the way, you need to check out the videos available from Rob Bell at www.nooma.com. Great stuff!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Aren't those Nooma clips awesome!? We watch them for S.S. class. Actually, last week, I was thinking that maybe I should e-mail you and tell you about them (I knew they would be your thing), but just hadn't gotten around to it. Glad you found them!!