Thursday, August 25, 2005

Starting School

There's something that's refreshing about going back to school. No, I'm not actually going back to high school or anything like that, but I have been vicariously living the experiences of my teens as they share their feelings. Most of the schools in the Nampa area either started school this week, or are getting ready to next week.

Every one of my students said that they were ready to hit the books again. I know that I was always ready for the first day of school after summer break. I guess it was the whole idea of a new beginning, a fresh slate, a blank sheet of paper with no red marks (OK, enough of the metaphors). It was a grand feeling to walk into school and know that the year could be conquered as long as I made the right choices, studied hard, and turned my homework in on time. Amazingly, I even anticipated seeing my teachers again. I could look them in the eye, knowing that I didn't have any overdue papers, no discipline issues, nothing to hinder our relationship as teacher-student. And you know, as long as I kept up with my schoolwork and stayed out of trouble I enjoyed school. However, if I slacked off in my studies, procrastinated, or broke the rules, school became anything but a place of enjoyment. Attitude issues would set in, I'd get stressed, and slowly but surely notice a drop in my grades. During those times (especially in 11th and 12th grade) I would say things like, "I hate school!" or "Man, the teachers have it out for me. I can't do anything right." In reality, my downfall was brought on by choices, bad decision that I had made. I had the fresh start initially, but put myself right in the middle of my current circumstance.

Fortunately, I recovered from my high school mistakes. I was given another opportunity in college, and made the most of it. I think part of it was just growing up.

You ever find life to be like high school? You ever wish you could start over, erase some of the bad choices you've made? Do you find yourself caught in an inescapable cycle of procrastination, financial failure, and even worse, spiritual hopelessness? Well, guess what? There's a new day of school. You can start over. There is hope!

It starts with realizing that you've blown it (Romans 4:23). Don't blame your problems on somebody else. Admit that it's your bad decisions that got you to where you are. Then, quit trying to work it all out on your own. Realize that only God can get you out of the mess. Then confess, repent, and believe (I John 1:9). You want to keep that blank piece of paper? Walk in the light (I John 1:7) and obey (I John 3:9-10).

Wow! I didn't intend to write all this. It just kind of happened. Hey, I hope it helps if you need it. Enjoy the school year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man Keith.... am I the only one who logs in to your blog? you have got to tell more people about this keith! :) Di

Anonymous said...

Nope, anonymous, you're not hte only one- I found out about it yesterday and i've logged in a lot already! :)