Thursday, June 12, 2008

CCM Fans

Spence Smith, a former member of Big Tent Revival, asked an intriguing question today on his blog Connecting People to Life: Has Contemporary Christian Music overlooked the fans? He points out that country music has the Fan Fair and Southern Gospel has National Quartet Convention and wonders why CCM hasn't brought all their artists together for an event geared specifically for fans. Interesting read.

I know I haven't posted anything lately, but just hold on. The deluge cometh.

By the way, I really liked Big Tent Revival. I wish they were still touring.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. I've wondered the same myself.

It seems there was a get-together ca. 1970 of the Jesus People that was pretty much a who's who of the early CCM Pioneers. But that might have been the first and last.

They do have some summer festivals with quite a few artists, and probably each wouldn't mind being the "granddaddy of 'em all" (except I doubt that phrase is hip enough for the cool crowd), but I don't know if there could be enough industry unity / agreement to find one place to combine all of them.

Another factor coming into play is that a good chunk of CCM's target demographic is teens. They don't have the same flexibility 60-something retirees have.

On another topic...I'm looking forward to the deluge, to hearing what's up with you and with Liberty.

Ellen said...

Yeah, what Daniel said in his last paragraph!

Tara said...

Hi Keith. The fair metropolis of Wilmore, KY, is deluged with something like 20,000 rocking fans (my hubby included unfortunately)each summer for Ichthus. I always thought it was the "grandaddy" of them all! You mean there are more?! AGH!

Definitely not for me: I guess opposites do attract.

Regi said...

only slightly off the subject, Jay insists that I tell he got to see Glenn Beck again last weekend.

Keith said...

Tell Jay I'm jealous. I got to see Glenn on his Christmas tour. It was awesome. And, Tara, while I would like to be with Derek, those outdoor (read: hot) concerts aren't as appealing as they used to be.