Friday, April 18, 2008

Recap

Currently, I'm driving through beautiful Oregon about 45 miles outside of Portland. This is far removed from my recent jaunt through Indiana and Ohio. On Monday I flew out to Indianapolis for the spring Appalachian Youth Camp board meeting. The meeting was actually held in Dayton, but you can get a much better rate flying into Indy. It was nice to see all the guys again. However, this is the last time I'll be able to use the generic description "guys". The newest elected board member is Charlotte Frederick who just so happens to be my sister-in-law. She's done a phenomenal job directing Kidz Adventure camp and was well-deserving of the nomination and election. She'll bring the touch of class so desperately needed on the board.

After the board meeting I had a chance to go over to IHC and touch base with several friends. I actually made it up there both Tuesday and Wednesday. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hang around for too long so I missed out seeing many of my friends. But, I was able to run into several of you guys. I made the most out of the time I had. And, I never knew I had so many people reading my blog! Wow! People I don't even know let me know how much they enjoy my spot in cyberspace. And there are a lot of my friend lurking around in the dark corners of my blog, careful to come and go undetected. Thanks for 'fessing up to your addiction. That's the first step.

It's been a while since Ray and I worked together at Grace, so we had a great time. It's also been about three years since I shared a story that features Ray, so pull up your chairs. This is a good one.

After we left IHC on Wednesday, Ray took me to the Indianapolis airport. We were about halfway there and I told Ray to pull over at the next stop so I could use the restroom. He found a rest area, pulled over, and I went in. The men's restroom was like so many that you find at rest areas, stalls on two sides of a dividing wall. Well, I walk in and went left. I hadn't been in there for 30 seconds when I heard Ray's voice from the other side of the concrete wall. He said, "Hey, Wags!" and then I heard the sound of him hitting a stall door. The next voice I heard was unfamiliar shouting out "Hey! This stall's taken!" Ray thought that I had gone to the right and noticed that only one stall was occupied. When he hit the door, it popped open revealing a person sitting on the throne who most definitely wasn't me. The guy wouldn't let it rest, either. "This stall doesn't allow double-parking", he bellowed in a voice easily heard on the other side. Ray kept on trying to apologize, but the guy wanted to keep on talking about it. I was trying to muffle my laughter on the other side of the wall, but couldn't. I walk out and Ray is standing there, humiliated, red-faced, still feeling like an idiot. Definitely, the highlight of the trip for me.

Felt like old times.

9 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

All I can say is I'm glad you don't have any embarassing stories on me! It's probably safe to say that you must be very good friends with him to post such a story - or maybe I should say that you WERE very good friends with him!
Tell Candy Avery & Vera Mae Robinson howdy from me, and have a good weekend.
~Shanna~

Barb (Glick) Kamph said...

OH SO CUTE CAN'T BELIEVE THE OTHER GUY KEEP TALKING AND AS FOR YOUR FRIEND I THINK I WOULD HAVE AT LEAST RAN TO THE OTHER SIDE WHERE YOU WERE.
BARB

Jonathan Walden said...

It was great to see you at IHC!

Unknown said...

Only to Ray. I thought you might tell us that Ray sat down in the stall next to Larry Craig and had to run out. It is a good thing that Ray loves you so much.

Anonymous said...

Did Shanna place the right verb in there? You must feel very secure in your friendship!
Looking forward to hearing from you. Shelby

Carrie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'll make sure this gets around to the entire Indy District!

Anonymous said...

Actually the humiliation is still over my face. Thanks Wags for sharing. What a big mouth!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a classic, Ray! Some things never change when you guys get together!!