Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oregon Trail

Well, I survived my first full weekend with Liberty with minimal damage done. I had a great time! It's as enjoyable and fulfilling as I imagined it could be. Everything went fairly well. If it could be illustrated using a weather forecast it would be mostly sunny, few clouds, slight chance of rain (I know. That's a pretty weird comparison).

My first full concert was in John Day, OR. The town was small, but the scenery was incredible. It's surrounded by snow-capped and majestic mountains. The trip down was beautiful. For those of you who know me, I'm usually fairly comfortable on the stage. I'm far from being Mr. Smooth, but I'm past the knee-clattering stage (see Exhibit #10, Keith's first music recital, GBS, fall of 1995). However, I walked on the stage confidently and then totally lost it on my very first song. I don't know if it was nerves or what, but I couldn't remember any of the words to our concert opener. I mumbled my way through the entire song, forgot that I was supposed to take the melody on the last 2 choruses, and totally blew the ending. In a way, it was comforting. I knew it couldn't get any worse. It didn't. I made it through the rest of the concert without huge, noticeable errors.

We had to sleep on the bus Thursday night, which was a new experience for me. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep. It was probably more like 3. On Friday, we headed west towards Portland. We had a full weekend of concerts, 5 full concerts and 1 memorial service held at Portland, OR First Church of the Nazarene. The church is literally built into the side of a mountain. Pretty impressive!

Overall, everything went well. I still have no clue what the lyrics are to the song "Happy Rhythm". I know that the word "bubbles" is in there somewhere so I throw it in every other phrase knowing that eventually I'll get it right. But, people laughed at my attempts at humor, I was told that I looked "real good" in my promotional picture by a 7-year-old girl, and I met some fantastic people. What more can you ask for on your first weekend?

It's all good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was a wonderful story keith! i'm sorry you blew the concert! just joking! i have one question though. was the 7 year old girl hitting on you, or being sarcastic?

Keith said...

She was as sincere as an angel. I gave her a hug.