Friday, March 31, 2006

Blessed Is the Man...

As I sit here (at my new desk) this evening, I've been reflecting on all of God's blessings on my life. This has been a long year. I've noticed that people in ministry never like to admit that bad things have happened. We always like to put on the positive spin, thinking that perhaps if we ignore the problems of life long enough, they'll just dissipate and disappear. Enough of that. Here are the facts: In the past 12 months I've been through things that have challenged my faith, things that have made me realize how much I have to depend on God. I've failed in some areas of my ministry. I haven't seen all that I would have liked to have seen accomplished in my life and in the lives of those I minister to. Some of my deepest hurts and biggest losses have happened during this last chapter of my life. It's probably been one of the toughest stretches I've ever been through.

But, at the same time, it's produced an understanding of God and His will that I've never before experienced. While my faith has been challenged, it has also been, through the trials, undeniably strengthened. I hate to admit failure, but I have to. However, even though my ministry hasn't been all that I would want it to be this year, it has, once again, brought me on my face to my Father, and He has proved that He is a God of justice, grace, and strength. God has clearly won the day and any accomplishments have been to His glory. During some of the darkest days this year, God has been the closest. I've taken advantage of the offer of I Peter 5:7 and found that it's true. Not only has God been closer than a brother, He has been Abba Father. Someone I can trust in, confide in, draw strength from. He has helped me deepen my relationships with friends and mentors. God has opened my eyes to the fact that I don't walk this journey alone. Today, I have more close friendships than ever before in my life. God has closed a door for ministry and opened a new door. He has truly given me the desires of my heart.

My family is closer than it has ever been, extended and immediate. I have been allowed to have two of the most wonderful children in the world. The privilege of being a part is one that I revel in daily. Through all that we have experienced, the love and respect that Lori and I share has deepened and matured. We are more devoted than ever. My love for ministry has been rekindled. My love and concern for people has been renewed. God has blessed me time and time again.

This has been a long year. This has been a blessed year. My favorite phrase is appropriate tonight:

It's all good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and we are only three months into the year...