Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Open up the archives...it's Tuesday


This picture was taken in the summer of 1998 in Ochelata, OK. Check out how skinny we were! I actually had some hair. Nick Pop, Aaron Herring, and I were traveling with Assurance Quartet from God's Bible School and College and were spending the week at Ochelata Youth Camp. OYC is operated by the Bible Holiness denomination (formerly Fire Baptized). We had just finished an afternoon of sports and were headed for some ice cream. The main thing I remember from Ochelata is playing softball in 108 degree weather. I remember hitting the ball out to the fence and stopping at second base, simply because my legs shut down on me. There was no air conditioning in the dorm rooms. We took a temperature reading in the dorm and at one point it was 110 degrees. Our representative, Mark Stetler, was put in a room with a dinky little air conditioner, so we all crowded in there with him trying to enjoy a little bit of coolness.

I directed the choir at Ochelata that year. The tabernacle was open, so it was just as hot inside as it was outside. After finishing the choir songs, I began to hyperventilate. I made it to the kitchen, went over to the ice chest, and grabbed a bunch of crushed ice to pour over myself. It took me nearly 10 minutes to get my breathing under control. Great memories! Ochelata was, in spite of the heat, one of our favorite destinations. There's a lot of good people out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that three GBSers would think that it was alright to flash such a subversive symbol anywhere, let alone in front of a camera.

Anonymous said...

The man on the right has two big fingers and one very small one.