Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Just thinkin'

For many of my friends, Southern Gospel music is an irrelevant part of religious culture/worship. Unfortunately, they have one too many examples of why that's the case. In some groups you might find a lack of musicality, excessive showboating, or cheesy presentations. Sometimes, I'm as offended as you are. But for all you haters out there, don't base your opinion of any entire genre based on a few examples. I can do the same thing with any given style of music. For every Casting Crowns there will be 25 Family Force Five's that offend me with their pathetic presentation. But, the fact that I am majorly turned off by Family Force Five's music (to carry on my example) doesn't cause me to label all other CCM groups as poor examples of Christian music. In spite of such wannabe groups, there will always be quality bands like MercyMe, Jeremy Camp, David Crowder Band, and others who represent the genre well. The same is true in the Southern Gospel field.

Don't really have a great comment to tie this whole post together. This just happened to be on my mind.

1 comment:

Brook!e said...

I saw Family Force 5 when they came to the Area with the Rock and Worship Roadshow and I wasn't a fan.
I'm happy to say I agree! :)