Thursday, February 02, 2006

Weight and See

I am fat. Yes, I am. Let's not mince words here. When I went to GBS as a lowly college freshman, I weighed a whopping 155 pounds. I had a size 31 or 32 waist (depending on whether the pants were from Sears or JC Penneys) and was thin as a rail. That weight included my hair which stood nearly 17" high and weighed (along with the various gels, hairsprays, and conditioners) approximately 8 pounds, thanks to my poof which at the point was the height of style according to the conservative holiness fashionistas. Even though I hate like a horse, my weight rarely fluctuated.

After 4 years of college I still was only encumbered with 165 pounds on my lanky frame. That was soon to change, however. I married a fantastic cook! Lori began cooking substantive suppers and my waist began expanding. It started out as an innocuous transition from a 32 to a 34 waist size. Nothing too bad. Then, I began to notice the appearance of a double chin. I noticed that I could actually grab hold of skin on my side. This wasn't good.

Now, after nearly 7 years of marriage I find myself tipping the scales at 190/195. I've got to do better on this. Now, I'm not the kind of guy that spends a lot of time stressing about my looks. I realized a long time ago that I'm no Brad Pitt. I'm not even a Willard Scott. However, I do care about being out of shape.

So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to have a weigh-in posted each week. Hopefully, this sense of accountability will contribute to my efforts to slim down. We'll see.

10 comments:

Jon Plank said...

I'm sad to read that you hate like a horse. As you know, horses are infamous for their savage dispositions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aaron said...

Keith, please, whatever you do DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT post bare pictures of yourself. I don't think I could handle that. Although, I've been needing to diet myself and those pictures might help me lose my appetite.

Keith said...

Two assumption I'm going to make here: 1. that my good friend Jon never makes a typo (due to his severe criticism of my gross ERRORS, and 2. that michael avery's comment is talking about my waist, not my waste

Bethany said...

I'm all for letting you do a weekly weigh-in as long as you don't make your blog readers do the same.

Anonymous said...

With all due respect to the "bare pictures" suggestion, I have two questions:

#1. Would it actually be possible for pictures of you bare from the "waste" up to be "tasteful" in any sense of the word's definition?

#2. If you're going to post pictures of either of the above homonyms, for the sake of your faithful readers would you please be so kind as to choose the lesser of the two evils? (I can "bare"ly "bear" the thought of either possibility, quite frankly.)

Anonymous said...

Keith,

Wow...the mental image of your bare necesseties was enough. Just post numbers...PLEASE!!

Anonymous said...

OK Keith --- here's a deal to help with the "waste" and motivate the "waist". You lose 10 first and it's $10.00 worth of Skyline coming your way --- I lose first and it's $10.00 worth of Starbucks coming mine. Your call - let me know. I think you can figure out who I am although I wish to remain anonymous to your millions of readers.

Keith said...

It has been brought to my attention that the former posting by "Michael Avery" wasn't actually posted by the real Michael Avery. As a result, I have deleted the tasteless, error-ridden comment.

Carrie said...

I thought it was really, really funny that "Michael Avery" would've posted that. Now my bubble has bursted. sigh...