Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Weighty Matters

I have had several inquiries about my weight loss quest, the most recent being from Brenda Pardoe (check out her blog at http://nursingstudentlife.blogspot.com/; I especially like the picture on the April 04 post entitled: "Clinical Experience for Today"). I have done reasonably well, to answer all the critics (most of whom possess corpulent physiques) who scoffed contemptuously at my endeavor. While I have yet to invest in a new scale (our electronic scale is not to be trusted) I have drastically changed my eating habits. I used to snack frequently between meals, and my snacks were high in fat and cholesterol. I consumed a lot of soda, junk food, and candy. Now I am eating (mostly) three times a day and the quality of what I swill has improved dramatically. I am drinking water almost all of the time. In the past month I have had soda just 8 times. Not bad for a guy who drank 3 cans of pop a day. I am also (at the advice of nutrition expert, Marc Taylor) imbibing on fruit when I feel the need to snack. I have started to eat other green vegetables besides green beans, which before has never happened. I'm actually getting to where I can eat broccoli without the gag reflex. It has made a difference. I don't think I've lost tons of weight, but I do have a little more room in my clothes.

I haven't done that well on the exercise side of things, however. I have to make time for it, and so far that hasn't happened. Doran joined a gym and I'm considering doing the same thing. I'm just afraid I'll waste (or waist) the money. I don't know...

When I get the scale I'll let you know where I am. I have no pride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That last line struck a chord.